Actual Metalworking Project in Use

These are pics of the sail line reel I built a couple years ago and a recent fishing trip to the west end of Christmas Bay, Brazoria County, Texas. I dragged the piece of aluminum I built it out of through three moves over 25 years, finally built the thing after I retired. Mounted it on a pawn shop moving dolly after ditching the nose piece. The red tags are the license tags, required for each 100 yards I let it out, up to 600 yards max. There are thirty circle hook drops within 200 ft. of the sail. I mix live and dead bait, shrimp, mullet, and piggies.

The main line attachment to the float is on a piece of sailboat track. Adjustment can vary the angle off dead downwind by about 40-45 deg. either side.

Oh, I'm the fat old grey headed guy.

The sail line reel, powered by an old wiper motor.
The reel in action. My wife said I should have added a level wind.
Wading out to remove fish and replace bait. The float is a catamaran fashioned of

4" pvc sewer pipe.
The best catch that day, 25" speck. (speckled trout, spotted weakfish, etc.)

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Oops, 3 and 4 didn't rotate. They look fine on my computer, and were rotated before I saved them. Don't know how to fix. Any ideas?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Yep, it's in the regs. They started doing this in Nueces County (Corpus Christi) at least 50 years ago, probably longer. My wife grew up doing it as a kid, which is why we got into it.

It was great when we had small kids, and will be great again when we have grandkids. They can chase hermit crabs, try to catch mullet, minnows, etc., raise all the hell they want, and the reds, trout and flounder 400 yds. away on that reef aren't going to notice.

I've heard that it's illegal in Austalia but allowed in New Zealand. A charter guy out of Coffs Harbor, NSW told me that.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Cool! What's the typical catch?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Pretty good in the cooler months, the only time it's worth it. Two to six good fish per set. Of course, croakers, puppy drum, and sand trout are good to me. I eat them all. Our best ever was one set of only 100 yds, when we had Z's all over the place (fish on pull the floats side to side), hauled it in, and had 10 total keeper specks, flounder and reds. I sent Brenda for more ice chests, then the wind died. Never got it out again that night. In the warmer months, you may never get a bait past the T.R.'s (turd rasslers or hardhead catfish).

Reply to
Pete Keillor

So, how do you handle the bones in croakers?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'll bet you have some good recipes! Croakers, Puppy Drum. Sand Trout, Specks, Reds???

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I keep it pretty simple. Drum and reds are filleted with hide and scales left on, sprinkle with Tony Cachere's, salt, and pepper, grill on gas or charcoal about 6-8 min. per side med low heat. Sand trout I scale and fillet. The skin is too thin to skin reliably. Specks the same, but they skin easily. Then fry. Croakers, whiting scale, gut, and fry whole. Reds are also delicious skinned, cut into steaks, and baked with sliced peppers, onions, and a little lemon in the oven until they flake. For flounder, my favorite is scale whole fish, score top side, drizzle with butter, lemon, and seasoning, then bake in oven.

It's all good. I'll fillet gafftop, fry. Sheepshead are good too, but it takes a large one to be worth it. Then I fillet them without getting into the gut cavity. Just remove the fillet and skin. Those armor plated bastards will make you bleed if at all possible.

Brenda also caught a nice blacktip shark in the surf. I gut 'em, steak them with a 10" butcher knife, then cut the hide off in donuts with a small fillet knife.

I've never eaten a hardhead or mullet. Haven't been that hungry. Or piggy perch / pinfish. Mostly because they're too little to mess with. I've always thought they'd be good, though, like bluegills in size.

By the way, if you want to get a youngster hooked on fishing, get a tiny hook, #10 treble or smaller snelled hook, and put on the smallest gobbet of fresh dead shrimp you can manage, one split shot, then have the kid daub around a dock. Guaranteed hookup in seconds on piggys.

One thing I don't appreciate is blackened redfish. Nasty overseasoned way to ruin a magnificent fish.

Oh, two days later we caught two beautiful reds, one 25", one 26". I'm looking forward to grilling those. I'll post a picture on the same heading.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Oh, caveat, we caught these in San Luis Pass in the boat. Pretty, ain't they?

Pete Keillor

I was lucky enough to have an uncle that inspired all of us kids to love fishing since we were old enough to walk. Kids and fishing just go together. We caught Lake Erie Perch and Walleye mostly out on the boat and Crappie and Bluegill in the local marina and Cats from shore. All tasty! As an adult, fly-ins to Canada for Pike are the ultimate for me. I have a 49" (released) and have been looking for that 50" for years.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And what are the red solderless, componentless PCBs on there?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

...The red tags are the license tags,... They're engraved aluminum, each year a different color. Also called Saltwater Trotline Tags, which is why they're made that tough. I just milled a groove on each side of a piece of aluminum strip so I just have to take off one end and slide them out to replace each year.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Sounds like a lot of fun, Tom.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I just knew those weren't PCBs. Not living there and not having bought a fishing license in 40 years, I'm a bit lagging on the licensing details now.

Reply to
Larry Jaques