My latest metalworking project

My latest project- I have a cheapo generator and the recoil broke. The
design is such that failure is pretty much guaranteed- the engine has no
primer and needs to be pulled over quickly to start. The recoil is made of
truly crappy plastic which tears like paper if the rope is pulled quickly.
So I made a hub that I can wrap a rope around- just like the old days.
Simple and reliable.
Here's how I made it:

You might have to click on the pictures to view them full size.
-Carl
Reply to
Carl Byrns
I found on one engine that if you rip the whole recoil mess off, a good Makita cordless drill with a deep socket on an adapter will make a rather nice starter. Just have to pull it off quick when the engine starts.
I've also found on numerous small engines without primers that just leaving the engine shutoff switch off and giving a few pulls on full choke will do the same thing as a primer. Switch to run and pull once more and it's off.
Reply to
Pete C.
The problem with this is that you are tightening the nut that holds the flywheel onto the (in most cases) tapered crank shaft resulting, eventually, in a cracked flywheel. DAMHIKT! Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
Carl, thanks for the time and effort to post this tutorial. These things not only teach me something but inspire me to try things I otherwise would not.
Ivan Vegvary
Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
Omygod, a real metalworking project on RCM. THANK YOU! Nicely done, too!
Reply to
Don Foreman
Thanks. I apologize for interrupting the never ending gun/civil rights/they're-spying-on-us/free porn/Islam/Cliff- is-an-idiot posts.
-Carl
Reply to
Carl Byrns
Perhaps there are still a few die-hard metalworkers lurking. I did get some great suggestions for cutting 18-gage stainless sheet. We now have several approaches to choose from that look like they'll do the job, TBD which one we'll go with.
Reply to
Don Foreman
Great job Carl. The layout dye offered sharp contrast in your pix. Just like a pro!
You going to Hollywood soon? As a machinist and photographer you'd be, what they call, a "double threat" Can 'ya sing too? (chuckle)
Great stuff... thoroughly enjoyed it.
Michael
p.s. IS Cliff an idiot? Who's Cliff???
Reply to
toolman946 via CraftKB.com
Please dont ask.
Sometimes, when you speak the name of He Who Should Not Be Named...like calling up a demon..he shows up....
Gunner
Gunner Asch