Extrude-hone gone wrong!!!!!

A friend sent me this post from a personal watercraft tech chat site. If this guy is for real he should make Darwins list;

Porting trouble

Hey guys, I've got a 93 Superjet. I've had a pipe and modded ignition for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust ports. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Fords and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the ski with it hooked up to the flush kit. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust port and manifold.

I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we added a little more premix than usual. After running it and letting it suck in sand we got about quarter way through a 25 lb bag. The engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the F/A back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We just kept trying to run it to blow more sand out but it started to make scraping and knocking noises.

Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Fords so he doesn't know much about Yamaha pwc motors. __________________

650 Superjet

(Can anyone actually be this stupid?) Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

Actually, this is a performance enhancement EVERY jet ski jockey should make to his steed.

-Carl (just kidding... sort of)

Reply to
Carl Byrns

-snip-

lol. that's funny. i wish i could think something like that up to post as a joke/hoax. would be too funny reading the replies. lol. this reminded me though of an old timer telling me a story about how when he was coming up the old timers he knew told him about de-carboning a piston head by putting, i can't remember now if it was rice or pop corn, i THINK he said rice, into the engine's intake while the engine was running. funny huh? it would pop the rice on it's way through and in the process clean the intake, cylinder head and exhaust port. lol. i don't know, maybe it was true and for real. i ain't gonna try it though. i'd be like, wouldn't it get stuck in the valves on the way through? would be funny to see a puff of SOMETHING blasting out the exhaust pipe huh? POOF! maybe it would smell like puffed rice.

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

Yes indeed! Highly recommended! The problem probably was that inferior sand was used. Volcanic black blasting grit is very cheap, available at most lumber yards. This port polishing technique is best done at wide open throttle.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Could anyone be that stupid? Sure!

I knew a guy in the 70's that swore the hot setup for a fresh 2 stroke was to fire it up on straight gas and rip a full throttle pass up the street. He said it helped seat the rings.

On the other side of the motorcycle coin, when my dad had his motorcycle shop, he sold a Ducati 450 RT to a fellow used to Maico's. Soon as he got the engine lit off, he'd rev the crap out of it. Dad tried to explain the difference between 2 and 4 strokes, mainly the need to let oil pressure build before really revving the engine. But this guy wouldn't listen. Not too many months later, dad bought the bike back dirt cheap. Engine had about a 1/4" gap at the front of the engine cases. It was a bitch pulling it apart. Not sure, but it appeared the rod let go at the lower end on the compression stroke, piston fired, and drove the rod right down between the flywheels, splitting the cases apart. I've got it welded to a base and can post a link to a pic if anyone wants to see it.

It might be a hoax, but given the low level of technical savvy in people these days, it's possible.

Stupidity, the one thing that is available in truly unlimited quantities...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

For this to work properley the engine needs to be run on 90% nitromethane at full throttle.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

A lot of shit talk here fellas..... 90% met ha... good luck in finding the parts. This has to be bullshit.

Rob

Rob Fraser

Yeah, but it's funny bullshit.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Here's the actual link , read "Lostotter"

Dixon

Yes, they can. When I was younger I worked in production, mold-making, and sales for my dad's company

After a while I realized that there's one of the main symptoms of the differences between men and women is that a woman will happily profess to being mechanically ignorant, while a man will happily demonstrate it to you, on his own equipment.

I have seen friends, customers, co-workers, and customers car builders do things to cars that go well beyond anything that I could imagine doing, both in the 'stupid' and 'clever' directions.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I'm all for it. Not kidding, either!

That, or a muffler that works!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Reminds me of Seagull outboards where I lived in Long Island NY, they had gotten a reputation for poor starting, seems most folks didn't read the instructions. You were supposed to fill the tank then once started run the engine at WOT for a tank full and that ran in the engine, started fine after that. Most just pottered about then put the engine away and wondered why it didn't start well next time. My dad's one was great, started well, ran great, only downside was you needed to keep some spare shear springs incase you accidentally grounded the prop.

Reply to
David Billington