ELECTRICAL WORK GONE WRONG

I recently hired an electricial to rehire my new salon. It seemed to take forever to get the job done, but I figured, well, that's probably normal. My husband requested outlets to be placed on the walls in certain spots. Electrician would get upset that we even suggested it. The day before our final inspection, the electrician got mad and quit on me. The day of inspection, we were rejected. Inspector suggested we hire someone with more experience and knew what they were doing. So I did. Work was done and final inspection passed. Second Electrician had to redo work the first Electrician did(rejected by building inspector). I had paid first Electrician as work was completed, but this final bill I received. I got a bill from the Second Electricians, stating what had to be redone by inspector, repair work came to $1586.93. In which I paid, in full. First Electrician sends me a second bill, telling me, he guarentees his work, and his estimated labor and materials at $450, which he is willing to deduct from his final bill of $1130.95, taking the final bill now to $680.95 I feel I was ripped off, and want to know if there is some kind of law about having to pay for work that was rejected. I don't feel I owe anymore money to this first Electrician. Am I in the wrong?

Reply to
TAMM

Since the original work was below professional standards you should take it up with the local electrical authorities (report the bad workmanship). Since the original electrician also left you I would imagine he would have refused to bring the job up to standard. All in all were you to take it to a civil court I dont think he would have much of a case. I would refuse payment and seek legal advice.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Are you sure this guy was really an electrcian? The customer is the person who knows what they need. This "electrician" really needs some professional help to overcome his delusions. Since he quit and did not finish the job I don't think you have to worry about paying his bill. Let him have the expense of taking it to court if he wants.

Reply to
Spokesman

if I were you I would sue the first electrician example for example

Electrician 1

Quoted $1500.00 Paid $500.00 Due $1000.00

Second Electrician

Amount Due Total Due $3000.00

First contractor is responsible for the $3000.00 due to the second contractor

first contractor owes you $2000.00 $1500 to pay the second contractor And $500.00 what you played him Total due $3000.00 then you play the second contractor the $3000.00 Your out of packet expense is $1500.00

Reply to
Phillip

That's pretty much how it would work under UK law, except you would be advised to give the original electrician a chance to complete the work to spec (unless grossly incompitent). Also you would have to show you tried to minimise the repair costs, e.g. by getting 3 estimates and going with the cheapest, otherwise the electrician could try arguing the costs were unreasonable and you might not be able to recover the full costs from him.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"TAMM" wrote in news:1144466962.041287.315600 @j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Yes, but not in the way you think. The first so-called electrician OWES YOU all the money you paid him, plus any additional damages the court finds. He failed to produce the product he was paid for, that is pure fraud, and is a prosecutable offence. Because he failed to produce the product, you should be able to recover on judgement any lost income due to delay in finding a new contractor, your time spent looking for a new contractor, and any fees charged by the new contractor to repair any work performed by the first contractor that was not up to code standards. I suggest you file a fraud complaint with your local police against the first contractor, and seek the advice of your attorney with regards to your options for recovering funds paid.

Reply to
Anthony

The guy left without finishing his job. You should tell him to pound sand. A better forum for your question might be a legal one, rather than electrical.

Reply to
Long Ranger

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

It's an old axiom "Nothing cost as much as cheap help."

Reply to
BJ Conner

I totally agree with this!

IF the first "contractor" is licensed and gave you an estimate, written or not, that you agreed on, written or not, that can constitute an oral contract and he can end up forcing the sale of your house or salon to pay his bill (extreme case, but known to happen). Assuming that he took out a permit, he would have needed to be a licensed contractor to do so. only a homeowner can take out a permit without being licensed (in most jurisdictions).

If he was NOT a licensed contractor, he had no legal right to do work on your establishment and you owe him nothing, but you could casue more trouble for yourself pursing money from him because you hired a non-licensed contractor.

Talk to a lawyer. Too risky to mess with if you have some facts wrong.

Reply to
Bob Ferapples