Extra air storage tank

Threaded View
Hello group ,
   Have gotten some good input before on things so here goes. I have an
existing 60 Gallon DeVilbiss 6.5 HP compressor that goes to 125 P.S.I. I
am thinking about getting another 60-100 gal tank and putting it inline
with the other tank and running an air supply off of that .Now is that a
feasable idea ? I would like to save the really big bucks for a much
bigger unit . Ideas are welcome.

Thank you

Bernie

Re: Extra air storage tank

  Hi Bernie

  It isnt quite clear to me why you need additional storage of compressed
air.
  The inline storage of compressed air will allow you to drain an additional
air before the compressor  begins pumping.     That means that, if your 60
gallon tank drains from 125 PSI to a low enough  pressure to start the
compressor in 3 minutes, it will start in 6 minutes with that additional 60
gallon tank.     Once the compressor starts running, and that drain is
  So, the additional storage capacity lengthens the length of the On and Off
times.

              Jerry

Re: Extra air storage tank

If you are doing tasks that require a lot of air for a long period of
time (you just keep doing it, your compressor runs, your compressor
can't keep up or catch up), the advice that "you just need a bigger
compressor" is valid. If you are a HSM that wants to accomplish some
tasks which exceed the scale of your current compressor, but don't drag
on for a long time (so you can stop doing it and your compressor can
catch up), an extra tank can be a good stopgap at a low cost. The inital
drain of capacity may be enough to let you get what you need done, done.
Plumbing the extra tank into your piping system near the point where you
will connect the biggest air-drawing device can also help. Go over the
whole system carefully for leaks, so you're wasting less of what little
compressor capacity you've got.

Which happens to be a good thing. Starts are harder on the system than
just running, so longer cycle times = less wear on the motor/compressor
for the same air output over time.

Re: Extra air storage tank

   1) Bigger tanks , Bigger  hoses and fittings , less restriction ,
but same size
 compressor ......run bigger tools but not for long periods , for short
time .
  like a 15 CFM hammmer , or ?

  2)  compressor turn on and turn off pressures are much closer to each
other .

------ you can make a better air compressor , using many copper tubes
and
plastic pistons .
  Pistons  have a mound , that fits up into  the exhaust valve to min
the
 head space .
  a cam drives the pistons slowly to keep the duty cycle low to
 allow the copper to stay cool .
 about 16 cyclinders should do ...
   or how about 5 stages of G.M.C.  6-71 compressors ?

  BTW
  He wanted to show he was an experienced tire patcher , so he ignited
and
 burned the tube  patching glue ...
  That wastes the solvent that will eat into the tube !
  There's allready too little solvent .

Similar trouble in Thailand , a friend said his Acrylic glue didnt hold
and
it was frosty .  Not enough DicloroMethane or Cloroform in the glue ...
 It evaporates in seconds !  It is toxic to breathe .

  Any one know where to buy digi-mikes with 2 memories ?
 i want to flip between ABS and relative , w/o running the thimble
 back to close the jaws

_______________________

[...]

It will allow you to draw more air before the pump has to kick on. The idea is
to have a big enough air pump so that you never make it exceed a 50% duty cycle.
As another responder pointed out, adding more capacity to your tank won't change
the duty cycle. If you don't care about burning out your compressor and you want
to do e.g. bead blasting where you will work for awhile and then do something
else for awhile, it will let you work a little longer at the expense of it
taking longer to repressurize.

There's no substitute for a bigger air pump, which of course requires a bigger
motor, bigger circuit, bigger bucks ..

I use a 5hp 2-stage unit, and when I need more air (e.g. jackhammer) I rent a
trailer-mounted one. Rarely.

GWE

Re: Extra air storage tank

I have a spare tank for sale or trade in DFW if anyone is interested.
Conventional upright 60-gal in excellent shape

Re: Extra air storage tank

I have a 80 gallon tank , horizontal, on wheels, near Bakersfield,
anyone can have.  It holds air..all I can say for its safety factor. I
think it was a IR at one time.  Free.  Ive not bothered to try
hyrdotesting it. as I only run 90 lbs of shop air.
I decided I dont really need 300+ gallons of air ......

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
 has made a huge tactical error"

Re: Extra air storage tank

 I'll take your tank. When are you going to be at your shop?

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Re: Extra air storage tank

I would like to thank all the input I have gotten on the topic
and I have decided that I should just plain bite the bullet and get
a bigger unit that puts out more CFM'S to help overcome the demand
better .
  Thank you all once again .

Bernie

Re: Extra air storage tank

Bernie, 6.5 HP is a lot of HP, you probably have a 600 lbs monster
that puts out 20+ CFM of air... Going beyond 6.5 HP would likely
require a 3 phase motor, the largest easily findable single phase
motors are 7.5 HP motors (made by Baldor and sometimes sold by
Ingersoll-Rand).

What is your application that requires so much air?

Tanks around 80-200 gal are not too easy and not too hard to come by,
just look around your usual surplus sources and you will find one in a
few months for under $100.

Re: Extra air storage tank

My bet is it is "Sears" horse power!
I have a Porter Cable 7 HP compressor that I bet is the same as his as PC is
made by De Vilbis. My compressor is closer to a 3 HP model in amp draw and
CFM output.
Greg

Re: Extra air storage tank

Another alternative is a "second" compressor the same size. Use one
for normal use, both for heavy use.

--

Site Timeline