tank storage

I posted a while ago about getting a gas welding setup, and I received many helpful responses. I decided against the smallest tanks and purchased some ~80cf tanks. My new question is about where I can store them safely here in Southwest Ohio. It can get pretty cold here, and I want to keep the tanks in a large pole barn that I'm hoping to turn into my shop. There's no heat in the barn, but it is well shielded from the elements. Is there anything I should know or watch out for if I leave the tanks in the barn under temperatures that can get into the low teens at times? Thanks again,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Mecklem

The pressure in tanks of compressed gasses like Nitrogen and Oxygen will drop. Not an issue for welding since the gas will come out at the same pressure after the regulator. It can be a minor problem at the end of the tank, you can't get quite as much gas out of the tank.

Acetelyne is another story, it is dissolved in acetone, the rate of coming out of solution is very temperature dependent. You can't pull any where near the same discharge rate from a cold tank as from a warm one.

That said, a lot of us have tanks that sit out, mine get as cold as 0 F. You may have to tweak a regulator adjustment to get the perfect weld.

Keep > I posted a while ago about getting a gas welding setup, and I received

Reply to
RoyJ

RoyJ gave you an actual answer.

Personally, I don't like getting out there to weld when it is that cold! I'll wait for a warmer day. When the day is warmer, the bottles are ok, too. They should be fine just sitting out in the cold, cold weather - unlike me.

~Joe

"Tim Mecklem" wrote:

Reply to
jp2express

Reply to
RoyJ

That doesn't sound like fun. I rather hate the cold myself, but when I have a welding project in the winter I find it helps warm up the shop. All that heat has to go somewhere after all.

Reply to
Pete C.

Thanks for the help, again. I'll probably have more questions after Christmas when I complete my basic setup. You and the rest of this list have been an invaluable source of information.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Mecklem