Re: Extra Things on German Tanks

I noticed that most Allied armor kits give you a few tarp rolls, but I

> don't recall seeing them offered with German tanks. So the Germans liked > to get wet? One thing I know for sure that you see with German tanks is > an abundance of tow cables. those buggers broke down a lot, didn't they. > > > > Craig

No, Craig they just used the ones they collected off of American KIAs and POWs..especially after the Battle of the Bulge..you have to remenber that the Germans had been fighting a two front war for almost two and a half years before the Americans got into the game. Any battle ground in any war there is recoverable gear laying around all over the place. Americans were shot for having Lugars in their packs and Germans got same for wearing American ponchos and field jackets. In a battle any excuse is acceptable for killing your foe. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I'm building a 1/32 Storch at the moment, and had a wander round the hobby shop having a look at all the extra bits you can get for 1/35 scale armour with both sides and a range of other sides gear available. There were fuel cans, mechanics toolboxes and workbenches, blankets and tarps, trailers full of ammunition for a range of guns, water bottles, and anti-tank things. There was even a kit with two donkeys and their German handlers! There was a flat tyre kit including the flat tyre, a brake drum to put on the model axle, and jack for a VW! You were supposed to buy the matching VW kit, but it looked like a schwimwagon (spelling?) kit would do as well. That could be fun to weather and put into a diorama considering my (and most other old soldiers!) love of doing donuts in the paddock when it rains!

Those old Volkswagens were extremely hard to bog and will get through almost any wet paddock, leaving a great track! And from experience at home on my farm, most dual wheel trucks will also spin real well and do some pretty mean circle work!

As well as all the bits like this, many of the things you would see tied to the side of a tank would be readily made from a range of "craft" or household items. The foil liner from a cigarette packet can give a heavy canvas look if painted and can be rolled easily. Even thin lacy materials can be made into camouflage nets with a few cuts and extras.

Hope this helps, Peter

Reply to
Bushy