WW II Moveis

I am a nut over WW II movies and I have just finished watching "Midway" for
the umpteenth time. I consider this the best WW II movie ever made. What are
your opinions about films covering from WW I to the present? I subscribe to
Netflix who claim to have a 18000 volume of DVDs for rent. TIA Pete
Reply to
The Laws
Uhhhh. the best?
I suggest these instead:
Patton Saving Pvt. Ryan Battleground Pearl Harbor (FX only!!!!!!!!) no flame on that one please Tora, Tora,Tora (from which Midway stole from endlessly) Casablanca Das Boot Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo Guadalcanal Diary Best Years of Our Lives
I hope Netflix has more than just Midway...
Craig
Reply to
Craig
"Das Boot" - without question the best submarine movie ever made, and probably the best of the WWII genre as well.
Reply to
Rufus
Das Boot. Makes quite a point...
Always enjoyed (?!?) Tora Tora Tora (or if you can only watch kosher, Torah Torah Torah... hey, it had to be said.)
Saving Private Ryan was interesting. As was Sink the Bismark and Battle of Britain.
I'm sure others will come to mind when I'm not at a keyboard.
Reply to
EGMcCann
I vote for Das Boot, The Enemy Below, Sink the Bismark, Tora Tora Tora, and the Great Escape although it doesn;t have much battle sequence in it. It is still in the time frame. Midway is ok, but the errors are too much for me to really enjoy it. Especially when Heston crashes in an SBD and they show footage of a Panther I believe crashing on deck, come on a jet substituting for a WWII prop dive bomber? Steve
Reply to
SMarsh3807
i vote dam busters for best wartime made movie.
Didn't they use the same footage in The Hunt for Red October? I'm sure it was a Panther crashing on deck in that movie. hard to believe there is no more recent footage of a crash on deck...
Craig
Reply to
Craig
damn. forgot all about that one. its the only war movie the wife will sit thru with me. great mix of science and action. it works all the way thru.
Craig
Reply to
Craig
What? No Pearl Harbor?........'scuse me, I have to go to the ER now, bit my tongue off......;)
Bill Banaszak wrote:
Reply to
Ron
Das Boot, most of Private Ryan (skip the very beginning and end), Gallipoli (you really need to listen to Clam Chowder's version of Eric Vogel's "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" first....have Kleenexes handy) and believe it or not the version of All Quiet on the Western Front with Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine (yes John-Boy and Quentin McHale turned in good performances here) are all good war movies. They certainly beat dogs like Midway, The Longest Day and Battle of the Bulge.
Rufus wrote:
Reply to
Ron
There's lots of great carrier crash footage, they're just too lazy to find it.
Craig wrote:
Reply to
Ron
Since I am several days into watching the History Channel's "Band of Brothers" I'll put my vote in for that.
Considering the fact that it has been so long since WWII the German vehicles alone are incredible. The C-47 drop scenes are breathtaking.
I worked on "Tora!3", but I'm one of the few that really enjoyed Pearl Harbor. Worked on "Memphis Belle" and some of it really pissed me off. We had to fight the continuity people to keep the bathing buty red on one side, blue on the other. They finally caved, then had crew at altitude leaning against the inside fuselage with bare hands and chatting without O2 masks. Personally I liked the original better. :-)
Then there was "Radio Flyer", but the less said about that turkey the better.
Tom
Reply to
Maiesm72
love the flak from the dam towers. some poor guy musta got eyestrain making those scratches in the film. best scene was the real life dialogue at the end of barnes wallis saying if he'd known the cost, he'd bever started. haven't seen it on dvd.
One of my favourites is Stalag 17, along with The Great Escape, seeing as it became the annual Christmas movie while growing up, and kept me out the way of parents ;)
Cheers, Stephen
Reply to
Stephen Leslie
"Pork Chop Hill"....now there's a movie!
-John
Reply to
Pacific95
There is also one I belive is called "Fighter Squadron" with a lot of P-47 action over Europe.
Reply to
Claus Gustafsen
Craig, I'm surprised you didn't mention "Battle of Britain." "Midway" lifted a number of aerial scenes from there as well.
Andy
Reply to
Andyroo111
For the First World War, I'd add "All Quiet on the Western Front" (Lew Ayres version, not John-Boy), "Blue Max" (for the aerial scenes) and "Beyond Victory" (a real old British piece with Cary Grant from about 1935 or so with some good aerial footage). There was a silent that I saw years ago with my folks about the Army Air Service, with Buddy Rogers, but I can't remember its name. Used 1920s aircraft in place of WWI aircraft, except for one Fokker (bad guy's plane)
The Old Timer
Man, if you consider "Midway" the best, how bad is the one you consider the worst????
Reply to
famvburg
How could you guys forget Wings,winner of the first academy award?
Reply to
Eyeball2002308