Looking for WW II Japanese warship reference websites

I picked up the old Aoshima Nagato and Fujimi Haruna kits for next to nothing at an IPMS contest this weekend. These are the first 1/700 WW II warship kits I've acquired and have now started to develop an interest in WW II Japanese warships. The painting instructions in these kits are a little sparse and I was wondering where I could find some good IJN reference websites.

I fear I may be starting down the slippery and expensive photo-etch path/resin/White Ensign path with these kits ;^)

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

don't worry kid, these can't hurt. tell ya what i'm going to do, the first ones are free and the rest will be cheap...... (wanna buy a bridge?)

Hub & Diane Plott III

centennialofflight> I picked up the old Aoshima Nagato and Fujimi centennialofflight> Haruna kits for next to nothing at an IPMS centennialofflight> contest this weekend. These are the first centennialofflight> 1/700 WW II warship kits I've acquired and centennialofflight> have now started to develop an interest in WW centennialofflight> II Japanese warships. The painting centennialofflight> instructions in these kits are a little sparse centennialofflight> and I was wondering where I could find some centennialofflight> good IJN reference websites.

centennialofflight> I fear I may be starting down the slippery and centennialofflight> expensive photo-etch path/resin/White Ensign centennialofflight> path with these kits ;^)

Hehe, with these kits you are more likely to be going down the path of scratch-building (carve, glue, fill, sand, repeat ad inifinitum) with some blurry photographs as references, probably reversed :-)

Seriously though, although much much better kits are nowadays available, there is nothing wrong with having a good time with these older kits. Photo-etch might be nice, but no need to buy the high-grade stuff just yet - some old Eduard IJN weapons set, or the Fine Molds ones will be much easier to handle than WEM parts (which would be a bit of a waste on these kits frankly, unless you plan to spend months correcting all their faults).

For references, I wuold say the best is to go an order a set of books. Although in Japanese, the photos of large-scale models in the series books are superb. Try looking for the Gakken books on Kongo (21) class and Nagato class (15) - they should be available over the internet, or maybe even directly from a Kinokuniya store, though they have been discontinued. Here is a list:

Cheers, and loads of fun!

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

centennialofflight> I picked up the old Aoshima Nagato and Fujimi centennialofflight> Haruna kits for next to nothing at an IPMS

And to see what can be done from the Hasegawa kit of the Hiei:

Gernot Hassenpflug

centennialofflight> I picked up the old Aoshima Nagato and Fujimi centennialofflight> Haruna kits for next to nothing at an IPMS

And what can be done with the Aoshima Mutsu:

Gernot Hassenpflug