WW II Moveis

"EGMcCann" wrote in news:c5q9t1$4j2lg$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-160738.news.uni-berlin.de:

The Cruel Sea. The Brits really know how to do sea stories.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@yahooo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns94CE755563F44Wereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.136:

Also A Walk in the Sun.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

That's the one about Corvettes isn't it?

Inside hint.....in the past few months Hollywood research types have been seen at NARA getting copies of the biplane Helldiver, Vindicator and early TBD blueprints......all I could get out of them was, "It's for a movie...It won't be a dog like Pearl Harbor...ILM, nuff said?"

Reply to
Ron

One movie that rarely is shown and has a good story line is another navy one " The battle of the river plate " , [sink the graf spee ] like my favorite war movie "sink the Bismark" the "brits " against odds and with luck rule the waves Ken

Reply to
allenx3

Dawn Patrol with David Niven and Errol Flynn, Nieuport 28s, and Pfalz DXIIs Tora,Tora,Tora wasn't bad. Pearl Harbor was one of the worst films ever made. I Bombed Pearl Harbor was made completely with models in the early '60s. It follows a Kate crewman on the Hiryu from Dec 7th thru Midway. Other carrier films are Wing and a Prayer, and Ships with Wings. The latter was filmed aboard HMS Ark Royal during the war. The plot line (such as it is) is drivel, but there is good footage of Skuas, Swordfish, and the Fulmar, which is the real star of the film. Also includes model footage for Italian a/c. Other good Brit films are Sink the Bismarck,The Dam Busters,Reach for the Sky (The story of Douglas Bader with Hurricanes and Spit 16s), In Which We Serve (loosely based on Mountbatten's service in HMS Kelly) and my favorite, A Sailor of the King. This is a fictional work about the pursuit of the German raider Essen. Jeffery Hunter, who is rescued by the Essen after it sinks his cruiser, escapes when it puts into a Pacific ancorage to make repairs. With a stolen rifle he picks of the repair crew one by one, delaying the vital work until the RN arrives. Great stuff. Ground combat - The first 20 minutes of SPR. The rest was just silly. A Wak in the Sun with Dana andrews, follows the infantry in Italy. A Time to Love, a Time to Die. Written by the author of ALL Quiet on the Western Front, this film follows a soldier from the Eastern Front to home leave in Germany where most of the film takes place. A good film. One of my favorites is The Best of Enemies with David Niven. This takes place in East Africa during WWII and is a comedy. For you bomber types, don't forget Twelve O'clock High, and the War Lover with Steve McQueen (and of course the Great Escape). Post WWII the Bridges at Toko-Ri, The Hunters, and No Highway in the Sky PT

Reply to
Giessenlad

Band of Brothers, in my opinion. Is the best war movie or series I have ever seen.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

"Midway" for

I'll see your "Midway" and raise you with "Zone Troopers" for honors of best of the worst.

WmB

WmB

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

Yep. I have a paperback and an original hardcover edition of the book. Movie and book track pretty close, too. About the best damn piece of fictional writing about the Battle of the North Atlantic there is.

Ooooohhhhhh!!!!

But the SBC only saw WWII service as utility and hacks? That combo could be an early WWII Atlantic I suppose.

In any case OOORAH!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

oh yeah...did anyone mention Hell in the Pacific?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

After scanning through all the posts (rather quickly), I didn't see anyone mention "A Bridge Too Far", one of my all time favorites, nor "The Longest Day". I also recommend "Dark Blue World", a film about Czech pilots in the RAF. I also liked "Hart's War" and "Enemy at the Gates" (don't laugh). And, the directors of "Das Boot" later released "Stalingrad", which tells that story from the German point of view. I own it, but haven't been able to watch it yet, but have heard it is very good.

Dave

Reply to
David Selim

Or 'Attack!' ?

Or 'Ice Cold in Alex' ?

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

A pretty decent ww1 film was "Lost Battalion". It features Rick Schroeder (all grown up now) and takes place in the Argonne Forest. It is based on a true story. Another that seems to fall under the "love or hate" catagory is "Thin Red Line". It came across as more "artsy" than "Saving Private Ryan" (both were released fairly close to each other), but I liked the visual style of it.

"Band of Brothers" will be difficult if not impossible to get on Netflix. I've seen it for rent at Hollywood Video and Blockbuster, but broken into each individual disc. That would be tedious. Still, if you can find a way to see it, I recommend it highly.

Finally, while not really a Hollywood film, I have one more suggestion. If you are as fascinated with war history as I am, you should enjoy "World at War". It is a PBS documentary series that chronicles the war from start to finish, with some good extras. I had it on VHS, but now own it on DVD since it benefitted from a restoration, cleaner sound, and more bonus material. Many feel it is the definitive historical video account of the second world war.

From reading the preceeding posts I can see you'll be watching videos for a long time! :-)

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

Grim, deeply grim. And all the better for it.

Myself, I go for early movies, like Ice Cold in Alex, The Dambusters, The Cruel Sea and Battle of the River Plate, but I have a definite love of Battle of Britain and Das Boot.

Then of course there's Cross of Iron. OK, maybe it's not accurate, I have no idea. But T34's coming through the walls, and the constant barrage of nastiness demand attention...

Oh, and Kelly's Heroes. How could ANYONE forget Kelly's Heroes? Only one of my favourites with yanks in it, but they were just so late arriving -)

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

I thank you...

Reply to
JJ (UK)

Destination Tokyo Operation Pacific They were Expendable The Enemy Below Run Silent Run Deep

And thats just the squids

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Some endorsements, and not sure if any were already mentioned.

W.W.I: The Lost Battalion - A and E starring Rick Shroeder. Very good movie about a battalion left out in the middle of nowhere by the "leadership". Johnny Got His Gun - An odd movie about a soldier who loses his sight, hearing, arms, legs, and can't speak. The brass take him for brain dead until he starts communicating via Morse Code by banging his head on the headboard. Odd, yet engaging and pretty decently acted. All's Quiet on the Western Front - the two stars were the actor that played John Boy on the Waltons and Ernest Borgnine (I think). It was a faithful movie version of the book. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Gary Cooper in the lead role (I think). Good version of the book. The Blue Max - It gets ballyhooed as a sort of B movie at times, but I liked it overall. George Peppard in the lead made it better. A good "poor guy makes good" movie with good flying scenes and action, despite it being about a German pilot.

W.W.II Saving Private Ryan of course. 'nuff said Tora, Tora, Tora. An accurate depiction of what happened at Pearl Harbor. A Midnight Clear - A U.S. recon platoon gets harassed by some whacked out German SS types during the Ardennes Offensive/Battle of the Bulge. Stalingrad - Seen from the German perspective. Brings a whole new meaning to "holiday radio broadcast". Bridge Too Far - Faithful adaptation of Cornelius Ryan's book Das Boot - Excellent submarine movie, and you'll walk around a few days arched over because the environment sucks you in that deeply. Run Silent Run Deep - Good adaptation of the book. Clark Gable in the lead role. Band of Brothers - excellent mini-series about a company of paratroopers from the 101st Airborne. Stalag 17 - Good get outta prison camp movie. Great Escape - Ditto, with bigger stars and stunts. Schindler's List - Some may argue about this one, but it's the most poignant movie detailing the Jewish experience in World War Two EVER. And depressing as ever, so you've been warned.

There're more I liked, but can't remember them all now. That list is a decent start though.

HTH,

Reply to
Steve Frost

My candidate for worst film would be "The Battle of El Alamein," an Egyptian/Italian co-production from around 1969 or 1970. Hilarious subplot about desert nomads in love, and the German tanks are destroyed when our heroes run up to the front of them and slap plastic explosive charges onto the glacis plates (now why didn't Field Marshall Montgomery think of that?). Oh, and the one reason to watch the movie: Rommel's Panzers are portrayed by Egyptian Sherman AMX tanks, the M4A2 and M4A4 tanks converted postwar to carry the French AMX-13 tank turret. Very rare in real life, and possibly the only film footage of them in service. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Lafimprov

Ah, I forgot that one, another favourite of mine too. A movie which actually uses real German tanks. OK, so they're Leopards, but they are real German tanks...

It also wins the award for 'Best use of a PIAT in a motion picture'... not a hotly contested award!

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

That was the one I was talking about but couldn't remember the name of.. Thanks! -- John The history of things that didn't happen has never been written. . - - - Henry Kissinger

Reply to
The Old Timer