RAF WW II Squadron codes

Does anyone have any idea if there's a rule to when and how these codes were placed. A lot of pictures show them to read the same way on both sides of the plane i.e. RF roundel X, while others place the two letter group forward of the roundel on both sides, or behind on both sides. Is this just a matter of choice from the squadron painter, or by some order/instruction. I'm specificly looking for Typhoon MN130 PR M in late 44 (With full invasion stripes). I have pictures of PR marked Thypoons with different placeing of the two letter group.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

I don't know of an official rule regarding the placement of squadron and aircraft codes. I /think/ it was standardised within each squadron; for instance 105 Squadron's code letters were EG and on all the Mosquito pictures I've seen the EG is always next to the tailplane, leading to, say EoGB on the port side and GBoE on the starboard. The marking is always easy to read, as the pair of letters is always the squadron code (so it would *never be EoGB port, EGoB starboard)

Reply to
Alan Dicey

There are two books on the subject that I am aware of. The first is generally difficult to obtain;

Squadron Codes 1937-56 By Michael J.F. Bowyer and John D. R. Rawlings (Patrick Stephens,1979)

The second;

Combat Codes, by Vic Flintham and Andrew Thomas (Airlife, 2003) is a recent and generally available book.

As with anything the military, the assignment and application of codes was controlled by the appropriate headquarters. In this case the Air Ministry.

Since I assume this conversation refers to the WW II applications, the original document assigning both codes and applications was "A154 - Identification Marking on Aircraft of Operational Units and Marking of Unit Equipment" issued in April, 1939. It was supplemented by at least two issues of the Secret Document 110 (SD 110) No know examples of this latter document are known to exist.

Also, as with anything military, there are probably as many examples of misapplication of the codes as there are proper examples. When Uncle Sugar came on the scene, the code letter continued to be assigned by the British, even when applied to U. S. aircraft.

Later, when the letter/number combinations not yet assigned started getting critically low, some duplications were assigned. Generally the duplicates were in theaters of operation far apart.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

In theory, the rule was of the form 'Squadron' code before the foundel, individual aircraft letter after.

However, exceptions existed both between Squadrons and in squadron as well.

I have seen examples of all permutations - e.g. for an aircraft XY-Z (made up code) I've seen examples like XYoZ, ZoXY, even XoYZ and ZXoY

- and this could be on both port and starboard!

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming