WW II Moveis

I may be wrong, but I think he means "A Christmas Story" as in the American and German troops who encounter each other and make their own Christmas truce.

The one everyone remembers is "A Christmas Story" as in "You'll put your eye out!".

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Is that the movie about the kid who wants a toy rifle?

Their boiler blows up.

And one of the kids (perhaps THE kid) gets stuck to a frozen post by their tongue...

If it is, it's one of my favourite movies. Watched it when I was recovering from Appendicitis just before Christmas 1997. Been hoping for its return to the TV ever since...lovely film.

Reply to
JJ (UK)

Why did they change the names of the crew? That seems very disrespectful to me.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Someone did mention "The Longest Day", although not with praise... I wonder why. Regarding "A Bridge Too Far", I like it for its attention to detail (something most movies of that time completely lacked), but it seems most people don't like it for its pace... I couldn't watch it at the theatres because my parents had already taken me to watch "Star Wars" a few days earlier and didn't want to take me to the movies again...

I finally got it on DVD last week. A very good movie, IMO.

Now, the title has always reminded me of the Bristish series "Enemy at the Door". Does anyone remember that one? I've seen that it has been released on DVD.

I watched "Stalingrad" on TV several years ago, but haven't been able to re-watch it ever since. It's on my "to buy" list, among others.

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

"Battle of the River Plate" aka "The Pursuit of the Graf Spee", I believe... The local public TV station aired it (using their telecine equipment) back in 1996 or 97, when I was working there... "Battle of Britain" is another title in my "to buy" list - though I was surprised to see that the local pirates were offering it on DVD-R a few months ago for ~US$3.00 (I never thought that movie would be released around here on DVD), I don't have any intention of giving them any of my money.

I remember when I watched "Cross of Iron" at the movies. Originally I was supposed to watch "The Blues Brothers", but my stupid cousin said "oh, that one sucks" and my parents took me to watch "Cross of Iron" instead. Too bad that the air conditioning system of the theatre was broken, and since it was summer, I kept suffocating and having to go outside every 15 minutes or so... No mention of the sequel, "Breakthrough"? I watched that one at my school's auditorium in the early 80s...

I would have mentioned it, but since it's fictional, I thought it was excluded... also, "Where Eagles Dare", with Clint Eastwood too and the same director, finally released on DVD about 6 months ago. Another fictional one, "The Eagle has Landed", with Michael Caine; an interesting thriller based on a novel by Jack Higgins (who claims in the prologue that the events really happened and he just "filled in the blanks").

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

I've seen that one a few months ago and liked it.

Yes, they were...

As opposed to you-all-know-which... ;-)

Of course, to really enjoy it, you must have watched the original miniseries version... that's one I haven't seen available on DVD (yet). Some day I'll have to buy the Director's Cut edition of the movie version, then.

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

Joe Jefferson wrote

As was making a 25 mission crew behave like they'd only met each other the day before...

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

It's about as accurate as some of the others listed...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Steve Frost wrote

The 'harassment' was snowballs, wasn't it, though - the Germans were trying to surrender without looking like they were surrendering and ended up all being accidently killed (because the US platoon leader forgot to tell all his men exactly what was going on)

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

I quite like The Way To The Stars as it showed how places stay the same but people and their fleeting lives come and go.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

So long as you don't mention Mosquito Squadron as it used a lot of the same footage. The petrol bowser driver must've been really pissed off.

Come to think of it, 633 Squadron has been cannibalised for other films too! The film where they got the Campbeltown to get itself wedged in the docks before blowing up had the same music in parts including the romantic theme. Nearly as bad as an African TV hotel based soap that used the 633 Squadron theme proper. Now that was really funny.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

I dunno! What about the Cold War film, The Bedford Incident with Sidney Poitier as a guest photographer on a ship that was shadowing a Soviet ship in the Arctic ?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Hmmm? I'm getting in late on this thread. Had to go watch the step sorta Grandson play "Rocky Mtn League" Football this weekend......... (Strange little conference - players from 18+ to 60+ !!!) Anyway - - -

How about:

"Battleground" "The Desert Fox" "The Young Lions" "The Tanks Are Coming" "Red Ball Express" "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" (HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!) "What Price Is Glory?" "A Guy Named Joe" (Which Spielbergh remade into "Always") "Catch 22"

And that's just off the top of my head.......which is still reeling from the roadtrip here in Spring Time Montana!!!

Rick Fluke snipped-for-privacy@blackfoot.net

BTW - did anyone else see a little known film titled "The Hill" with a young Sean Connery? Brutal !!!

Reply to
Unamodeler

Look again, all the live action shots used a British ship especially the opening shot with the helicopter landing. I think Curt Jurgens just wanted to get his own back for Robert Mitchum sinking his U boat.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

I saw "Why we fight" w/ Noel Coward (destroyer crew from 1939 to about

1942) when I was a kid - left a good impression. Probably would think it really corny now.
Reply to
MGFoster

Reply to
Ron

I liked 633 Sqdrn for the flying only. The story was corney/baloney & badly acted.

I recently finished _A Man Called Intrepid_ by W.Stevenson about the British SIS/BSC during WWII. There was a description of a Mosquito raid on a Copenhagen Gestapo HQ that looked like it was the basis for the movie's solo attack on the Norwegian Gestapo HQ. The Copenhagen attach was a whole squadron or 2, which makes more sense. _Intrepid_ also had a description of how the "heavy water" plant in Norway was attacked - by paratroops, which failed in the long run (some damage to works, but was repaired in a few weeks).

The book also described "Moon planes" that carried out night missions over enemy territory. One mission was to extract Niels Bohr from Sweden, after he'd escaped Denmark. The Moon plane used on that mission was a Mosquito, painted black. Dr. Bohr was secured into the bomb-bay for the flight back to Britain. The pilot found that he couldn't contact Dr. Bohr thru an intercom system & assumed he was unconscious owning to oxgyen depriviation. So the pilot flew back to base at wave top level (perhaps higher) to avoid German radar and get a higher dose of oxgyen to Dr. Bohr. The good doctor spent a few days in hospital to recover.

Reply to
MGFoster

Don't for get to add "Sahara" to the list with Bogart as Sgt. Joe Gunn....

J.B.

Reply to
Jer038

MGFoster wrote

I read a book - the title of which I forgot at the moment - about the Danish resistance up to and just after the raid on the Gestapo headquarters, which claimed (with photos to prove it) that the Copenhagen Gestapo HQ was the only camouflaged building in the whole city, which made it a little easier to spot.

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

Right. That was in the Intrepid book also, I just forgot about it. Getting old....

One of the bad things about the Copenhagen raid was the Gestapo HQ was right next to a children's school. One of the attacking Mosquitos was hit & crashed into the school yard. Subsquent waves of aircraft were confused about 2 smoke columns (as possible targets) and some a/c dropped their bombs on the school. A number of children & school teachers (more than 20 less than 100) were casualties. Of course the Nazi's used that incident as a propaganda asset: "Brigand British Bomb Children!"

Reply to
MGFoster