WW II Moveis

Hurrah! I'm expecting Kleenex to sponsor the next lot of girlie videos. I'm not (ahem) into Britney Spears but the Toxic video is quite nice.

Well, now that we don't see Tutti Frutti, the great German game show export with no sense to it but women keep getting up on a moving podium then undress down to stockings, to music. Works for me!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Richard asked:

Yes, "12 O'Clock High"

No listing so far for "The War Lover" with Steve McQueen

Rick

Reply to
OXMORON1

12 o'clock High?

And an another Gregory Peck movie "The Purple Plain" RAF Mosquitos this time, in Burma.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Only if he can figure out how to have the British lose. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Kim, the original poster got it spelled wrong.

It's the "Damn Busters". History of the FCC's current campaign to clean up radio language to their definition of "decency".

Nudity and foul language is a no-no. Violence to the point of graphic butchery is good, clean fun...or religious.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Originally they considered Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys until they found out more about Allen's rather seedy personal life.

PET PEEVE > Nearly everything I've read about it says Tarleton. Even Jason Isaacs says

Reply to
Ron

I know this is late in the thread, but I agree with "Ron" Ernest Borgnine did really well well with the character of ' Katz' in the television version of " All Quiet on the Western Front". Again showing the diversity of this actors abilities. To bad he kind of sterotyped himself with 'McHale' for a while. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

late again. a classic scene is a hellcat crashing on the deck of a carrier and breaking in two. what has been edited out is the unlucky sailor caught between the fighters leading edge and the carrier's superstructure. once in a while you will see the original but i don't suggest you view it with a full stomach.that poor kid didn't make it. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I remember back in junior high the teachers always had one or two media packages that coincided with TV shows with some historic importance. John Boy's AQOTWF came out about that time so we read the teleplay in class first and watched the show on TV at home later. I thought it was great. I found it on sale a year ago online for about $11-12. It still holds up well.

WmB

WmB

As long as they're not stick figures it would work very well for me! Not that I'm likely to ever see it anywhere but my imagination.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I'd believe it, sadly.

My question would be, are they planning a sequel? According to Christian teachings the story did NOT stop at the death. Therein may lie Gibson's disservice to the story. Personally I think he needs to respond to the questions about the extent his father's attitudes have affected his outlook.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

When asked in interviews about the Holocaust and the teachings of Pope Hutton, he stops acting and starts dancing like Fred Astaire. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

You have to admit, though. Nice furniture.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I saw a couple of interviews.

I kind of respect him for refusing to dis his father.

I don't respect the interviewers for wimping out and not asking him how he feels about the subjects.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

There was a recent Reader's Digest interview that was all softballs. Why am I not surprised?

As a Roman Catholic, my take (absent seeing it, which is hardly necessary if you are a Roman Catholic who suffered through 8-10 years of catechital indoctrination at the hands of nuns) is:

(1) Ah, he feels a need for personal expiation. (2) Ah, he feels a need to express himself cinematically with violance because his range as a director is limited. (3) As Catholic guilt trips go, this is really an A++ effort. (4) Aramaic and Greek are a nice touch--a pity a lot of the dialogue had to be back-translated from Latin texts, so who knows what nuance was lost there? (5) The film is no more anti-Semitic than a gas chamber--either can be used by a bigot to bad ends. (6) Is it that hard to find an actor that looks Semitic instead of WASPish? Normally I wouldn't wonder about that, but they did go to all that trouble with the Aramaic and the Greek. (7) I knew it--Pontius Pilate was really a nice guy.

I'd say Mel Gibson accomplished exactly what he meant to--he told the story the way he sees it, and he didn't bankrupt anyone in the process. Good for him--but he won't get any of my coin to watch it. I see much the same story, but I don't feel a need to emphasize the violence the way he did. The story--the reality, if you will--is stronger than that.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I soon get through my pension then the steel window comes down again after putting all those coins in! ;-)

BTW, they're not stick figures at all and I've archived up to seven of them onto CDR just for history sakes.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Oh yes! Yet another film where everything is a bit tough and a tiny bit more real. Wasn't there also at least one colour film of an American Army Air Force squadron based on an island in the Pacific that mixed in documentary footage from the battles?

Damn, just thought of another film where a squadron of B-17s being delivered all had to scatter and find their way back to the safety by hopping from island to island and the film followed the one B-17 as they made repairs at each point before that island was taken over.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Not WWII but I've just archived the safety film of the USS Forrestal tragedy and I'd noticed more horrific parts with smoking bodies rolling across the deck. After one exposion, where one body lay, a large chunk of fuselage then landed right on top of it.

It still sickens me to see the whole thing.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

The One That Got Away.

49th Parallel. Reach for the Sky.

The film (name forgotten but on tape somewhere) with Jack Hawkins as a CO at an RAF airfield where a damaged hurricane ends up going off the runway and ending up crashing into someones back garden as a new pilot lands using correct procedure but 'gets torn off a strip'.

The Silent Enemy, a film about the undersea war dealing with Italians sticking mines to Allied ships and a wayward British naval team finding ways to fight back. Just love the Shackleton squadron!

Oh God! It's all coming back I think!

There are loads of American fun films such as the sub that is painted pink and makes an awful gurgling sound. The film where the captain is almost never seen and the crew try to make (?)Burt Lancaster lead a mutiny.

Dare I say it......Father Goose!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks