WW II Moveis

I made a grave error! "Beyond Victory" was a piece about grunts, err doughboys, starring William Boyd (aka Hopalong Cassidy). Had one of the best battle scenes that I'd seen in a WWI movie. The British movie was "The Eagle and The Hawk". I got both off of AMC back when it was worth watching.

The Old Timer

The best X craft movie was "Above us the Waves" with John Mills (who else). Pretty accurate and quite well done. If memory serves "X-1" was a 1970s POS with James Caan. A great actor, but what on earth possessed him to do that movie. Almost as bad was "Attack on the Iron Coast" with LLoyd Bridges, a feeble attempt at portraying the St Nazairre operation.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

This thread looks at the end of its spool but heres my 2.5 cents. " Christmas Story" Best go* damn war story I ever saw and probably ever will. Who ever wrote it...lived it. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

the Iron Coast" with LLoyd Bridges, a feeble attempt at portraying the St Nazairre operation.

That was a turkey, without a doubt. Memphis Belle also sucked bigtime. Even the real pilot thinks that movie was bad.

Reply to
Scgmckman

mills was in every really good brit was flic, and the good propoganda ones too. and he gave us our adolsecent hard on, hayley.

that boyd flic is a real gem. i saw it once in the 60's, but i remember it. gotta search for it.

Yeah, AMC's turned into a real sore spot. It used to be my dad's favourite channel. If he knew how it went to Hell....!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

with many tapes' worth of goodies off the old AMC

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Boy, I completely forgot that one! Love those Lancs and the Merlins singing away. I have an old British sub picture I must have gotten off AMC a long time ago. I think it was "We Dive at Dawn" and dealt with a British submarine in the Baltic. I gotta drag that one out someday and give it another glance.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Ah, but that was Korea! I can remember the one character complaining about the lack of 'pushbutton wars'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

I wondered if you were going to mention her...;) Disney kept doing that for awhile. I spent my pre-pubescent years enthralled by Annette.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Especially the real pilot (and crew). They were interviewed, as were scores of other crews from that period. Historians, professional and amature, were consulted.

Does not make much of a difference when all that money is spent, all that time is spent and the producers ignore what they don't like. :-(

One thing about working for the movie industry. They pay a great deal for your work, demand it all yesterday, ignore it as if it never existed. Egos are the first thing to go.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

doreen's summer of flat to full was an education.

Got me, I couldn't get any more out of them.

Yep!

Reply to
Ron

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com:

Can't see where you'd have Vindicators and Helldivers at the same time.

Roughly: SBC

-3s to VS-3, VS-5, VS-6 starting July 1937

-4s to VS-8, VB-8 and VMO-151 at the start of the war.

TBD

-1s to VT-3 in 1937

-1s to VT-2, VT-5 and VT-6 in 1938

SB2U

-1s to VB-3 in 1937

-2s, -3s to VB-2, VB-3, VB-4, VS-41/42, VS-71/72 and VMSB-131, VMSB-231 in

1940

The only overlap seems to be Saratoga in 37/38.

I think I have to much free time.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I like the movie, but it left so much of the story of the book out it hardly deserves to use the phrase based on the book. They completely changed the role of Jim Bledsoe. I was very disappointed in the adaptation from teh book, but ignoring that it is a descent submarine movie. Steve

Reply to
SMarsh3807

What you just wrote about "Schindler's List" made me think of "Come and See" -- a pretty grim Russian movie from the mid eighties. Found a pretty good description of it here:

John Magne Stubsveen

I've got a VHS copy of the original documentry. The "Belle" sails through without a scratch. I can understand that the movie-makers wanted to show the horror suffered by the daylight bombers but why choose a A/C that was so well known. Doesn't make sense but I suppose, thats showbusiness

Reply to
Les Pickstock

So what makes "A Christmas Story" a war story? Or is it just too early in the AM for me o catch the joke?

Reply to
famvburg

Reply to
Daryl

Yes Frank, you do.......now go build a model! I have no idea why they're using those three and there could be more, I just happen to run into those folks sometimes. One of the biggest helps in research I've had down there is a fellow who does research for defense attorneys in asbestos suits, he specializes in ships and knows a lot of what they have.

Reply to
Ron