Should I change to 1 PH motor or by converter for 3 ph motor

I just got an older surface grinder that has a real new 1 hp 3 ph motor. I don't have 3 ph and I'm wondering if I should just buy another motor with a

1 ph, or should I buy the converter. I was told that with the converter I will lose about 1/3 of the rated hp. Any advise is appreciated....Peter
Reply to
PeterM

You want a VFD for that grinder. Dealers Electric or Automation Direct, both are good places to order from.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

With a rotary phase converter, or an electronic variable frequency drive, you will not lose any rated HP.

Ignoramus9314

Q: And why? A: A 3ph runs much smoother. Something you want for a grinding wheel. Q: But ... A: ... you also can change cutting speed. Now buy a VFD!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

A replacement 1 phase motor may or may not increase vibration and cause visible patterning in the ground surface. If you use the grinder to sharpen tools you won't even notice.

I bought a VERY worn Delta Toolmaker for $50 plus $50 for the mag chuck, put a 1 phase TEFC Brazilian motor on it and lived happily ever after, but I wouldn't use it for a paying job unless the customer was a mechanical engineer who understood and accepted it.

Jim Wilkins

Hey Nick, "Once upon a time" is "Es war einmal", but what is "lived happily ever after"? ... froelich immer wieder? Yeah, we learn German and Russian fairy tales as kids.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Reply to
PeterM

"Und wenn er nicht gestorben ist, dann lebt er heute noch". That's how the stories end.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

It depends on several factors and you don't supply enough information.

  1. What make/model is the grinder, and can it easily accept a inexpensive replacement motor?

  1. Do you think theres a chance you will need to run more 3 phase equipment?

Reply to
Tony

"If he isn't dead, then he's still living today" is the literal translation. Is that really the sense it's intended to convey?

and why in the world do they sing Bist Du Bei Mir at weddings here in the US when it's a funeral hymn.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

Entirely appropriate from a bachelor's point of view......................... Bob

Reply to
Bob

That's OT now (for the second time). I've sent you an eMail.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller