OT-Ballistic car repair

One for the what was he thinking file.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I performed a ballistic motorcyle repair once. I used to roam all over the Tahoe National Forest on my XL185. I had a rear fender mount tool pack, but the mounts had cracked, and this particular trip I'd removed it for repair. Did have my backpack with water and a Ruger .22 pistol.

Looped out trying to get back out of a ravine and broke the clutch lever. It split almost directly across the pivot bushing. There was enough friction in the pivot that I could not hold the lever in place and let it pivot about the bolt. No clutch, no way out of the ravine....

After pondering this a bit, I realized if the piece left on the pivot bushing wasn't there, the lever would slide on the outside of the bushing. But, no wrenches.... (a mistake I never made again!)

So I rotated the broken chunk as far as I could, getting part of it to extend beyond the perch. Took careful aim with the Ruger, turned my head away, and fired. The bullet shattered the chunk and left nothing but the bushing. I had to keep two fingers on the lever to keep it in place, but it at least worked again and I was able to get home.

Not often one can fix a broken bike by shooting it!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Dumb ass probably used a Standard shotgun on a Metric car.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
Mark F