TIG weld 4140

I've got a critical weld project coming up. Need to TIG weld 4140 steel to full strength without distortion. Do you use a special TIG rod? I assume preheat and post heat. What temps?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Lots of information on the Lincoln web site. There is 4140 tig rod, but Lincoln says regular 70,000 rod is usually all that is needed. Most things as designed are over welded.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I cruised around couldn't find 4140. They did list 4130 chrome moly, but that's a different animal.

Karl Townsend

Years ago when I needed to weld some 4140 I read that it had to be pre-and post heated and then let cool slowly. I'm sure that info is available on-line. That's where I got it in the first place. And that's what I did. After welding I wrapped in ceramic cloth, the stuff for kilns, to let it cool slowly. Eric

Reply to
etpm

You are right. I was thinking 4130.

Dan