hole chart problem

have a strange WF problem. i model which is a flat plate 12" wide x 80" long and

1/2" thickness. on this plate i have 20 holes. 10 are drilled holes and 10 are tapped holes. I set a CSO at the lower left hand corner. my "X" direction would be going from left to right my "Y" direction is from bottom to top and my "Z" direction is normal to the screen. My problem is this: when i go to put a hole chart ( based on "HOLES" ) only 4 holes are shown in the chart. anyone know why this happens?? all holes were done the same with the insert/Hole command. thanks guys.

LouR Brookhaven National Laboratory

Reply to
Lou Russo

LouR Brookhaven National Laboratory

I haven't used the hole chart function since i-squared so maybe it's changed since then. When you made the hole chart, you were effectively telling the program what your selection criteria were for what to include on the chart. So, you'd ask it Pro/e "Please Mr. Proe, please find the hole that are use these references: Surf_a of Protusion1, Datum_Front, Datum_Side". Then it would go through the list of hole features and find the ones that met this criteria.

Obviously, there's another way to do this: create the holes anyway you want, then tell pro/e to dimension in a hole chart all the holes done with the hole function. Or all starting from a certain surface. Then you tell it what surfaces/edges/datums to measure their locations from.

Let's go back over this: in the first case, you ask Pro/e to tell you dimensions of featuers, already captured parametrically, in dimension variables. In the second case, youi tell Pro/e to create dimensions by measuring from some geometry (possibly what was used to create the feature, possibly not, but basically ignoring the original references.)

If the hole chart function works the first way, to simply reflect and report what reference was used to create the hole, then you must be very diligent, very exacting in the selection of hole location references for holes to show up, together, in the same chart. Because it is merely (dumbly, one might say) listing all the features which have the *exact* same references.

Do yours?

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

After checking the help files and getting more confused, I decided to try making a hole chart, see if I could figure out how they work, what's important and what's not.

First, I think I can confirm one thing I found in the help messages on hole charts: the Holes type chart picks up only simple, straight "drilled" holes, giving location and diameter and placing a letter number by the hole. Standard holes ~ tapped and counter bored ~ were not picked up in a Holes type hole chart.

Second, the Axis type of hole chart picked up all the holes, no matter what type but gave no diameter and didn't mark the holes for identification. This would be okay if all the holes on a plate were of the same type and you just needed a cleaner way to refer to locations. Then a single not could identify sizes.

Finally, still can't resolve what's important/necessary in the orientation of the csys or whether it is necessary to consistently reference say, the default datums when creating the holes. It doesn't appear that the hole chart values are parametric. You don't seem to be able to change the part, as you normally can with shown dimensions, by editing the dimension value in the chart.

So, Lou, your problem may just be that the Holes type chart doesn't want to chart the standard holes and is just picking up some simple straight holes.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

OK, here's the deal...

I've had my share of headaches with hole chart creation and editing. There are pro's and con's. First some background information about my usage of the hole tables.

I needed to create a hole table for a heatsink for the electronics industry and it had tons of holes of various diameters and with different threads and depths. One item of note is that all the holes were drilled on the same face of the heatsink - the back "flat side" of the heatsink. You CANNOT create "cuts" even though they may be round in shape and blind or through in depth. They MUST be created with the "hole" command.

Every single "hole" that will be in the hole table MUST all reference the same three surfaces, picked in the exact same order - EVERY TIME !!!

What I did was first, create the heatsink extrusion. Next I placed a csys at my 0,0 origin point on the back side of the heatsink. In my case, I used the lower left hand corner of the rear face of the heatsink to establish my starting reference point of 0,0 (zero, zero). The csys MUST be orientated to follow the same directions as your "X and Y" directions for the hole table.

Now I started to create my holes, being careful to always select, in order, the primary surface of the heatsink (rear face) then the depth of the hole and then to ALWAYS select the "left" surface reference and put in my "X" dimension location and then to select the "bottom" surface reference and put in my "Y" dimension location.

After I had all the holes in the part, I created a new drawing, then created a new hole table with "holes" as the main choice. Then Pro/E asks for a csys and I selected the new csys that I used for the creation of the holes in the part. I choose a location for the chart and clicked the left mouse button. Now I had a hole chart in the drawing and it's parametrically linked to the part.

If I needed to add, delete or move a hole, I made the changes in the part and regenerated, then I went to the drawing and choose, advanced, hole table, update table and voila! the hole table is updated with all the changes from the part file. It's cool the first time you get it to work. It does take a little extra care when creating the holes as you need to always reference the exact same references and be VERY careful to always pick the "X" direction and "Y" direction using the same references, in order!

The only bummer, as Dave already mentioned is that it works only on simple, straight, drilled holes. All the holes in the chart will show up as, A1, A2, B1, B2, B3 etc. I had to create a small chart that was NOT parametriclly tied to the main hole chart and list things like...

HOLE DESCRITPTION A1 - A17 #4-40 UNC-2B X .250" deep B1 - B46 #6-32 UNC-2B X .313" deep

I needed to revise this table whenever I made any changes to the part. It was the only real kink in the system. It would be nice to be able to have all the tap drill information come up on a hole chart, but maybe in a leter release ??? I'm on Pro/E 2001.

Later,

Bob

Reply to
soundman

I don't see anything that's been changed about the hole table function in WF, unless they loosened up on hole references.

Some of the deficiencies that you mention might be overcome by customizing the hole table. Here's a list of all the parameters contained in a standard hole that can be added to the hole table by customizing. The values for these parameters are contained in three files in /text/hole and can be customized. When parameters are asked for while customizing the hole table, these headings are the parameter names that will add columns. Which ones are available for simple, "holes" type holes may only be found out by trying to add some of these (unless someone's found a list somewhere). In any case, using these to clarify an axis type hole table might make it more useful, in spite of not labelling the holes.

FASTENER_ID BASIC_DIAM THREAD TAP_DR TAP_DEC PERCENT_THREAD CLEAR_DR_CLOSE CLOSE_DEC CLEAR_DR_FREE FREE_DEC CLEAR_DR_MED MED_DEC CBOREDIAM CBOREDEPTH CSINKDIAM CSINKANGLE BOTCSINKDIAM BOTCSINKANGLE

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes