Sheet metal and non-square sides

I have just done some practice with the sheet metal feature of sw2003 but have problems mating the sides to other sides/planes where most of the sides are not square, and the bend angles are not 90deg. Is this a limitation to the sheet metal feature or just me not understanding? Could someone skilled please draw an example of a 3 sided pyramid/tetrahedron or similar (maybe with a flat top) from sheet metal and make it downloadable? A drawing like that would be a good tutorial for me. Or is this very difficult to do in sw?

Reply to
Morten Leikvoll

Sent you one, had to workaround. - 2001+ Will send to anyone interrested.

JM

"Morten Leikvoll" a écrit dans le message de news: wFQMb.988$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.e.nsc.no...

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

Here are 2 examples of how to create a Sheet metal pyramid. Pyramid2.sldprt is a more desirable approach since it allows better control of bend factor and radius.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

OK that link doesn't work anyone can e-mail me and I will send it to them. If some one would want to put it up somewhere that anyone who is interested could get to it that would be nice.

Corey Scheich

Pyramid2.sldprt

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Hi Morten,

Take a look in help for "LOFTED BENDS". There are some limitations and I've also seen some strange results, but this is what you are looking for. The help is adequate on the subject.

Good luck!

Dave H I tried to reply to your e-mail and I get and undeliverable message. So I typed it in ofcourse leaving out *DeleteThis* and no luck. Send me a link with it and I will try it again.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Hi Morten,

Rest assured that Solidworks is pretty able to do most of what you need. I think what you might want to use is an "edge-flange" which will allow you to make any bend up or down at 90 degrees or any other angle that you specify.

I have made two models that show how these can be used in the non-square usage(including the pyramid type thing). To investigate these, use the edit feature and play around with the settings to get a feel.

There are many ways to get a non-square flange and which method to use is based on personal modeling preference and the given need.

Some ideas to try -

1) Edge flanges which can include panel details like holes and notches.

2) Mitre flange which can include arc profiles as well as lines.

3) Any modeled feature like what solidworks calls a "wall" when you use the "insert bends" method (converting a model to a sheet metal part). You may also use extruded profile (like a side view of a formed edge) when using this method.

4) Construct material inside or outside using surfaces and then thicken and insert bends.

In any case - keep after it and it will eventually yield to your efforts. It's really tough to tame at first but it's worth the fight.

Regards-

SMA

Reply to
Sean-Michael Adams

Since no one suggested it yet, I'll chime in.

I think the easiest way to design a sheet metal pyramid, unless you fancy working out all the geometry ahead of time, would be something like this...

1) create a block solid of the desired pyramid shape 2) shell the block solid to the desired sheet thickness 3) add rips in between the sides 4) convert to sheet metal, selecting the base as the fixed face

When you need to change the shape of the pyramid, you can simply edit the block solid. We do this kind of thing all the time and it works real well. Recently we did a trapezoidal beam that had seven sides and stiffening flanges around the open face. It hardly had a 90deg bend on it. The vendor loved that were able to do it from one piece (not) :)

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

"Jean Marc BRUN" a écrit dans le message de news: 4003fd74$0$19282$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr...

Mail undelivered, your mail address hiding scheme is tougher that I thought.

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN