Antique Short Hood Lincoln SA200 welders.

Threaded View

Some years ago, I bough a really old short hood Lincoln SA200 welder.
It might be as old as a '48 model.  Before I bought it, it sat,
probably for decades.  I actually got it running, although not running
well.  Once it was running I was able to get an electrode to spark but
I never struck an arc and welded a bead with it nor did I ever finish
the project.

Some time after that, another short hood SA-200 floated by, and I
bought it, too.  This welder was about a 1958 model.  The man I bought
it from had the welder in service for a pretty long time.  He used it
to build barbecue pits and such for people.  He sold it because the
camshaft cracked in two.  The camshaft drive gear just fell off!  He
pulled the pan and the starter from it but decided to sell it rather
than fix it.

So I bought it.  Later, on ebay, I bought a Continental F-162 engine.
The seller was a machine shop that had rebuilt it but the person
abandoned it so the shop sold it for charges.

Now, a few more years later, my tractor mechanic, Gary, has now split
the broken engine from the '58 model welder, installed the rebuilt
engine on it and gotten it running.  The engine runs pretty smoothly
but the idle system is probably not hooked up properly and we are not
sure how it works, anyway.  Gary noticed a couple of wires that run to
the idle system but don't seem to be connected to anything.  He thinks
the wires probably used to be connected to a mercury switch that is
now missing.  The other welder (the '48) doesn't have this component
either.  So we can't rob the part from that machine.

The '58 welder (the one we just got running) will not strike a hot arc
although it will make sparks - just like what I got out of the '48
welder back when I briefly had it running.

We don't know if the idle system has anything to do with the fact that
the armature does not produce enough current to sustain an arc.  But
regardless of where we dial the rheostats or how high we spin the
engine, the machine won't weld although it will spark an electrode.
Gary is a very competent equipment mechanic but has no experience with
these old Lincoln welders.  Needless to say, I have even less.

Gary heard you could put a magnet on the side of the armature and
sometimes get it to go hot.  We tried that and there seemed to be no
improvement.  As I said, it will spark an electrode but not induce an
arc even with the switches turned "balls to the walls".

We will appreciate hearing all opinions and guidance on what we might
try next.  In particular, I would appreciate receiving an explanation
of how the old idle system worked (a schematic would be great!) as
well as some educated opinions on whether the idle system could be why
the welder is not hot enough to create a sustainable arc.

Otherwise, any information or guidance on what to do next, and the
order in which to do it, would be very much appreciated.  I am told
that the upgrade idle system costs more than $700.  I am not unwilling
to incur this expense if necessary but it would be a bummer to spend
the money only to discover the armature end is dead or dying.

I look forward to benefiting from the typical eruption of collective
wisdom.

Regards and thanks!

Vernon

Re: Antique Short Hood Lincoln SA200 welders.

After noodling the net for a few minutes I found a few tricks to try.
Hope to be able to post a gloat tomorrow.

Thanks,

Vernon

Site Timeline