Beer keg air pig?

Hope Ernie's doing well.

A buddy is building a portable air tank out of a 9 or so, gallon beer keg. The style is with the two circumfrencial ribs that could be used to roll it along on it's side. The top and bottom ends go in and out.

The thing looks like it's cast almost. Here's a bad pic of almost what it looks like:

Anyone have any input as to safety? 125psi without a catastrophic failure? That's what a typical steel air pig is rated.

The keg is very clean, no dents, or repairs of any kind. And the fellow doing the welding is very competent.

If anyone has any input.

Reply to
Greg M

- Greg M - spluttered in news:Xns95B6B9249CCFExxxooo27@216.196.97.132:

Better pic:

Greg M

So he's going to make a storage tank out of a keg and will still need to buy a suitable fittings, gauge and pressure relief valve plus worrying about whether or not it is safe? Is the builder going to static pressure test it? Buy one for about $35-40 and be done with it. Not worth the bother. Billh

Reply to
billh

I would go to your local propane dealer and get an old propane tank from before they changed the valves, which they are probably giving away, and use it. At least you know it was designed for holding gas under pressure...

BTW, I sure do like those shorts on the guy in your picture...

Reply to
Emmo

Well it should work as long as the welds are good. Mind yo a SS tank won't last as long as a steel tank.

The repeated pressurizing and depressurizing of the tank will eventually lead to a weld failure.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

- "Emmo" - spluttered in news:paQsd.115456$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

Heh heh heh, not my picture. ;) Google...

Reply to
Greg M

- Ernie Leimkuhler - spluttered in news:051220042147145839% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com:

Ernie and all, it's an aluminum tank, similar to what you'd find used as a fuel tank (all polished and shiny) on an old hotrod or roadster.

He (my buddy) has a friend that wants it built, to use, but mostly to show off. Welding is no problem, he's quite competent. He'll put legs and fittings as necessary. Personally I don't like the idea. It just seems sorta fragile IMO.

I spent so much time trying to find a suitable pic, I fergot the facts.

Reply to
Greg M

It takes WAY more than a very competent welder to build a safe pressure vessel. We build vessels and believe me, you have no idea what you're messing with. It's a cool idea but it will kill you.

Rod

Reply to
Rod B. Urner

It takes WAY more than a very competent welder to build a safe pressure vessel. We build vessels and believe me, you have no idea what you're messing with. It's a cool idea but it will kill you.

Rod

Reply to
Rod B. Urner

- "Rod B. Urner" - spluttered in news:41b908ff$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com:

Very salient point.

I'll make a mention "again" to him. I'll bring up the fact there might not be this sort of air tank (aluminum) available for purchase anywhere. And for good reason.

Again... I don't really like the idea, that's why I offered it for comment. :)

Reply to
Greg M

I say again - tell him to go get an old, no-longer-legal-valve propane tank. It will be free or nearly so, was made for pressurized gas containment,and will need no welding at all, just replacement of the valve...

Reply to
Emmo