plasma cuter question

Hi,

looking to get a used or a less expensive plasma cutter to buy, for home or hobby use,first project is to build a parameter fence (1/2"

3/4 " 2" square tubbing will be used can some one shine alight what they cost and where to look fo a good deal, or any brand to stay away from .

also , do all plasma cutter require 220 V ? thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants

My Miller Cutmate is switchable between 120V and 240V. You can't get full output at 120V input, but it'll still cut

1/4 inch steel on 120V (rated to cut 1/2 inch on 240V).

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

can you tell me what they cost ?

Reply to
acrobat-ants

You can spend anywhere from $350 to $10,000 depending on the model. They require clean, dry air. If you don't have a compressor, you can buy one with a built in compressor, but the cost goes up.

I'd check

or call Jeff Noland at HTP (same place) to see what he would reccommend. They have a nice lineup of inverter plasma cutters and he often has demo units for a discount.

Plan on spending between $500 and $1000 to get what you want.

Jamie Arnold (W)

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Get a HyperTherm or ThermoDynamics that will cut the thickness you want. You will own the best that has consumables that are easy to get and reasonably priced. Service is okay.

Use a cutoff saw for the tubing instead of a plasma cutter.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It sound like you have your heart set on getting a plasma cutter, but on your last post you said you wanted something cheap. Have you looked into one of the low cost bandsaws? One of the Harbor Freight units can be had for under $170. One more thought is one of the newer cold cut saws. Very clean square cuts.

Eric D

Reply to
Eric D

Just what is it that you want to cut? If you are looking to cut rectangular tubing, round or square stock, angle, or other average steel, a cutoff of cold saw is the way to go.

Plasma cutters are just something else for what they do. But for square cuts on regular stock, they would not perform as well as a simpler less expensive machine. And, with a chop saw or cold saw, you don't need a large compressor or any of the consumables a plasma cutter uses.

I, personally want a plasma cutter, and will be getting one soon as I gear up a new production idea. But the intended use is an area where the plasma cutter would shine compared to an OA cutting torch, a chop saw, or even a cold saw.

Give us a little more info. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

ok , my next project is about 300+ feet or picket style fence which involves cutting various size tubular steel, lots of it. I am aware that a plasma cutter may not be the best tool for this job alone , but i am thinking for its future use. i will need to get something to cut a bunch of 24 ' length bulk steel band saw would be nice , but it is somewhat bulky for my garage requires a fixed location , also I am guessing I would need a horizontal saw for this application ? chop saw was my original choice , but it stinks and very loud. I've been mangling metal with a miter saw and and abrasive blade, but this fence job would put my miter to the grave I am afraid.

plasma came to mind because its size, and ability to get into tight places where normal saw could not also its ability to cut none straight line or to make decorative plates , or other funky design for my gate.

if the plasma is too expensive i will revert back to buying a cheap lower end chop saw. keep in mind this is for a hobby level use and I will do this fence job in my spare time.

thanks for the suggesti>

Reply to
acrobat-ants

forgot to mention , I also got a wormgear type skillsaw, would it be a ok to use it to chop square tubes with?

Reply to
acrobat-ants

It would really shine! I just finished 100 feet of square tube fence. The Skilsaw 77 and a Tenryu blade enabled us to cut the 200 plus bars in about 30 minutes. I laid out all 45 of the 20 footers flat & square and used a 2X4 clamped on for a saw fence. The 4 cuts took about 20 seconds each and the careful jigging took the rest of the time. When I had a bad fitup, I could easily cut out a 1/8 inch piece of a tube to fit in a gap (freehand).

Reply to
Zorro

List price on the Cutmate is $1455, but no one pays list. Most dealers will discount it to the $1200-$1300 range. I bought mine used, paid $600.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Ok, you got my attention.....

who sells these special blades? welding supply stores ? I've look at the normal home improvemnet stores , but all they got is wood cutting blades . can 1 blade do simular project - square tube fence 4' tall , but 300 feet of it ? or will I need to buy multiple blades. any precautions with these blades , do I need to buy any cutting lubricants or wax or what not ?

thanks for the help

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Use the Tenryu site here...

and click on the "Find Distributor" button. If your 5 digit zipcode returns no stores, use less digits until you find a store. I found one who sells them for $45USD out the door. Here's another complete. If it lasts for more than the one fence, consider it a free tool after that at this price.

A single blade will do it and more. How much more I can't say yet but my blade is still running strong.

Just the usual precautions with a Skilsaw. Don't jam the blade into the material. Wait for the blade to get up to speed before feeding. The first cuts I did were the most cautious and after that I could tell the blade needed no babying. The 3/4 inch bars (1/16" thick) were falling at about 2 per second. No exaggeration. I used no lubricant whatsoever. After the job was finished, I dulled the blade a bit trying to cut some bedframe. I won't do that anymore. (Bedframe is usually not mild steel)

You will really be impressed and save yourself lots of time & stress doing the fence job with the Skilsaw/cold-cut combination versus an abrasive chop saw.

Reply to
Zorro

I just ordered a Matshushita from Medford Tool:

$34.95 + $7 shipping

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt