tow behind sled for snowmobile

Threaded View
Anyone have any thoughts on how to fabricate the ski portion of a tow
behind sled for a snowmobile?  We used to have a Fold-A Sled and it
would be really easy to build one, but the ski part has me stumped.

I have also thought about one of those tubs used by framers to pull
loads around the fields...

Re: tow behind sled for snowmobile

I've seen car hoods used straight as they come from the auto wreckers.
No skiis.

Ted

Re: tow behind sled for snowmobile
Use a stamping press.

Otherwise just go and buy skis at the wreckers or your local snowmobile
parts supplier.  Much cheaper.

Re: tow behind sled for snowmobile
The problem is that I don't have a stamping press (you already knew
that) and the skis on the average fold a sled are about 8 feet long

I'm thinking about using either an old pair of water skis or using
some 1 1/2" square tube, two runners, 4-6 inches apart as the
"skis"...heat and bend the tips up

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:50:58 -0500, "Gung Ho"

Re: tow behind sled for snowmobile
Sorry, I guess I'm just not picturing it well today =-)

What's your profile shape?

Do you have access to a sheet metal brake?

Can you just use 4 smaller skis in place of 2?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=001050251265
4a&type=product&cmCat=static_product

Looks like it would be cheaper to just buy a complete new one at $230.

Re: tow behind sled for snowmobile
Consider using a 6 - 8 inch slice from a corrugated culvert, cutting it and
then heating and straightening it out.  Gives strength and lateral stability.
A 1.5' dia culvert will give you a ski of about 4' long.

Site Timeline