2-stroke or 4-stroke - better for beginner pattern flying?

I believe you. I have no knowledge of what is hot now.

I don't know if you remember Jim Kirkland or not, but he was my pattern hero when I was in my twenties. He wrote a monthly column for M.A.N, IIRC. Before his passing, he began campaigning .46 size models, the Mustang X, and the like. I liked the trend and was looking forward to campaigning .40 - .50 sized models myself.

Unfortunately, it never happened. He passed and the trend died right then and there.

When models began getting larger than .61 sized models, I lost interest in pattern. The rich boys were going to have it their way again. Raise the ante until other, equally good, pilots cannot afford to compete.

I have always loved model airplanes for what they are - models. If I had wanted to fly full size, you can bet that I would have, one way or another.

When the semi-scale thing came along, that was the final nail in the coffin for me. I have other hobbies in addition to models. I don't want to have to spend every hobby dollar I have just to fly a big model in a contest that can be won by nothing less. Especially in an event that was to measure pilot skill. Instead it turned into measuring pilot wealth and stupidity.

I'll enjoy my computers, my music, my motorcycles and my target shooting. Those that wish to piss away all of their spare change on the latest $200 engine mount are welcome to do so.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I agree with you on the latest trends. Unfortunately the AMA leaders cater to those rich people.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

That is true with most of the engines that we call sport engines, although I don't know how true it would be with Magnum's .52. Everyone claims that engine is really ported toward the peaky end.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
newsgroups.bellsouth.net