Antenna platform.

Hi, I am looking to mount a directional antenna on a platform that follows a flying model airplane. Does anyone know of any such platforms, which can be commanded to point to some location easily e.g if we know the position of the airplane: for example if we have the GPS data.

Google search gave me some results for fairly big UAVs, for fairly serious work, but not anything cheap and lightweight for commonly flown model airplanes.

thanks,

-a.

Reply to
Amit Bhatia

A directional antenna is a bit of a problem, since it is not small for

72Mhz. The new 2.4Ghz R/C radios might be a better bet. Next, the R/C A/C must transmit the GPS location. The GPS data transmitter may cause problems with the R/C receiver. Finally, elevation of the R/C A/C may be a problem with a really directional antenna, and require height as well as bearing tracking. Out of direct sight operation is highly frowned upon for security reasons. A small amount of C4 in a R/C A/C is a terrorist weapon.
Reply to
Chuck

Let's not mention this out load please... If anyone would actually do this, model airplane hobby as we know it would be gone. In the U.S. at least :) Joke aside, it's actually not very hard to do something like that with all the technology available to ordinary consumers. I admire the folks that managed to get a model airplane from Canada (was it?) to Ireland. That could not have happened without this tech.

Reply to
Stefan Pettersen

Whats the application?

Reply to
Steve W

In article , Stefan Pettersen wrote: | >Snip< | > A directional antenna is a bit of a problem, since it is not small for | > 72Mhz. The new 2.4Ghz R/C radios might be a better bet. | > Next, the R/C A/C must transmit the GPS location. The GPS data transmitter | > may cause problems with the R/C receiver. | > Finally, elevation of the R/C A/C may be a problem with a really | directional | > antenna, and require height as well as bearing tracking. | > Out of direct sight operation is highly frowned upon for security reasons. | > A small amount of C4 in a R/C A/C is a terrorist weapon.

A really poor terrorist weapon.

Landing your plane on a specific spot right in front of you is difficult enough. Deliberately hitting something hundreds of feet away is almost impossible.

And then even assuming you could precisely hit your target, a small amount of C4 wouldn't do much damage.

Sorry, but R/C planes make really poor cruise missiles.

A molotov cocktail would be a lot more effective.

| Let's not mention this out load please...

Oh, because nobody else has considered this?

| If anyone would actually do this, model airplane hobby as we know it | would be gone.

Maybe, maybe not. But certainly, not talking about it on r.m.r.a isn't likely to make a big difference in it either way.

| In the U.S. at least :) | Joke aside, it's actually not very hard to do something like that with all | the technology available to ordinary consumers.

It's harder than you might think. It's doable, but not easy.

| I admire the folks that managed to get a model airplane from Canada (was | it?) to Ireland. That could not have happened without this tech.

It could have, but would have been much more difficult. Fly the plane from a boat that follows it? It's possible.

Since the FAI recently moved this record into a category for autonomous flight, I can see him doing the flight again, but this time controlling it the entire way -- he does like his records.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Put an antenna on a hat. When you move your head to look at the airplane, the antenna will point at it.

Of course, you will look like a geek!

Reply to
Morgans

"Doug McLaren" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us...

Yeah Osama, you can do better than that! :) But really, it's not that hard with technology that I mentioned. It's hard to hit a spot on another continent with a model airplane too, but IT has been done. Not a big issue though. Just a remark I wrote when bored. Hehe..

Reply to
Stefan Pettersen

"Morgans" skrev i melding news:VOoai.66$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.lga...

Probably the best idea yet! And it requires no extra batteries either :)

Reply to
Stefan Pettersen

Reply to
Chuck

"Amit Bhatia" skrev i melding news:f473vv$95l$ snipped-for-privacy@zinnia.noc.ucla.edu...

Could you tell us why you want to do such a thing?

Stefan Pettersen

Reply to
Stefan Pettersen