Antenna too long

That it's an "Old Fart's tale" is just another Young Whipper Snapper's Know-it-all fallacy. It depends on how much reflected power the particular TX's RF output stage can handle at the ambient temperature. Best to play it safe.
Case in point, from Futaba's FAQ: (Old Farts need not read on)
"When I am using my radio for programming, setup within my house, experimenting, etc, is there anything special I should do? You should ALWAYS extend your antenna at least the bottom or first segment when turning the radio on with a module in place. If left in the radio with the radio on at your work area with the antenna collapsed for more than short intervals, the module will be unnecessarily exposed and may shorten the life or even immediately damage the module/transmitter."
Ye Olde Fahart
Reply to
Gregg Uhlendorf
Thank you fellow old fart!
Reply to
jeboba
We had problems with adjacent frequency interference flying GWS single tuned rcvrs indoors. I cut the stock antenna in 1/2 per somebody's suggestion and have had no further interference problems. I have flown slow flyer models to at least 500 feet and 1/3 mile away with no apparent glitching from adjacent frequencies. Try it, if it gets worse, solder it back together.
Reply to
gary
Hmm.... I came home one day and forgot to turn off the Tx. Left it on all night with the antenna down. After recharging, it seemed OK. But should I be concerned?
Wan
Reply to
Wan
#$%^ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Over the years, I've done that more than once with a variety of transmitters. To date I have never noticed any lack of range or normal battery life. I do, however, run a full charge-discharge-recharge operation whenever I discover that I have done this, but there have been times when I have just charged up and gone flying with no apparent ill effects.
I believe that it is possible to "burn out" some components in the output part of the transmitter circuitry. If this happens I assume the transmitter will cease to function - none of mine ever have.
Malcolm.
Malcolm
Reply to
Malcolm Fisher
Definitly. You have over murgled the woggle filter, and may encounter gremlins on your return.,..:-)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
That's because the manufactires got tired of the warranty returns, and put a fatter transistor in the output stage. They now cost 50c mnore than they used to :-)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
I can't help it, but how does one murgle a woggle? Definitely you're joking. I know of no woggles in our hobby : )
Wan
Reply to
Wan
This is a Great Secret, known only to those who have inhaled enough NitroMethane to hallucinate Great Powers in the Sky.
To understand this - and I may be struck off the Secret Brotherhood of Mysterious Flight for revealing even This Much, you need to read many Esoteric Technical Manuals, misunderstand Everything of a Scientific Nature, and Believe in Glossy Magazines.
Then, My Son, when you have attained Oneness with the Ultimate in the Sky, and can Levitate effortlessly from the Flying Strip, you will be accepted as a Wise Guru. And Anything You Say will be Gospel.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
O' Wise and All Knowing One. If I studied your ways that I had climbed the Mt. to seek. Would I, Icarus, then know the mysteries of flight and won't murgle my gurgles any more?
For I have flown too close to the sun my father, and am positive I must have murgled them. I need to know your secrets so I may be as omnipotent as you?
Seriously, my antenna checked out to over about a quarter mile in the air. That's about as far as I'd care to fly.
Signed, Wan : )
Reply to
Wan
Told you so, oh neophyte :-)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Hey, hey! hay! I looked up what murgle means. When split, MURG LE, we have MURG as an ACRONYM FINDER and LE short for LEFT EYE or LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSIS. Neat heh?
Then everyone knows what gurgle means, for the neophyte of us; gurgle as in gurgling water or baby.
Had to find out : ) Wan
Reply to
Wan
Now look up 'woggle'
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Thought you had me stumped, didn't you?
WOG GLE;
WOG: Used as a disparaging term for a person of color GLE: in Acronym Finder
Sorry about being off topic, but had to do it for the mirth.
Wan
Reply to
Wan
The Natural Philosopher
Bruce Ward, Your definition is better than mine. Could you let me have the site for the dictionary or thesaurus?
It may have a definition for antenna. Might get one for insects though.
Thanks, Wan
Reply to
Wan
I am back to apologize to Mr. Ward. I went back and read again his article and realize he is the author. It was enlightening.
Wan
Reply to
Wan
Hmm.... I came home one day and forgot to turn off the Tx. Left it on
I would, if the collapsed antenna caused a severe mismatch and overheated the output transistor . Hopefully they were designed to take a full load mismatch.
Reply to
jim breeyear
If every transmitter that was inadvertently left on with the antenna collapsed self destructed Futaba, HiTec, JR, Airtronics etc. would be out of business. Or they would have the antenna enable a switch only when it was fully extended.
Red S.
Reply to
Red Scholefield
If every transmitter that was inadvertently left on with the antenna collapsed self destructed Futaba, HiTec, JR, Airtronics etc. would be out of business. Or they would have the antenna enable a switch only when it was fully extended. Red S.
I think we've just about worn out this thread, but Jim, what Red said made a lot of sense. An antenna enabled switch, that would save a lot of anxiety. So we probably don't have to worry.
Wan
Reply to
Wan