Anyone Flying Clancy's Big Bee?

I just received the ARF yesterday. Anyone flying one of these? What do you think of it? TIA

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Well, I guess the lack of responses provides the answer.

I have a fondness for fugly models with low aspect ratio wings, as you can tell. Ever since I saw a video of the original Lazy Bee, I have been enamoured with its unusual flight characteristics. A larger version just seemed like the next logical step.

Unfortunately, the Tower proffered ARF only comes in dark blue and white. I am not fond of this color combination. It reminds me too much of a Lanier Bronco I once owned.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking of powering mine with the "new" FL-70 OS four-stroke engine that I bought a while back. That should get it off the ground in a hurry.

Thanks to those that read my query.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Rimshot

My dad wants one of these bad. Cant afford it right now tho.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I wonder if it is mostly held in high regard by we elders? That's odd, since the designer isn't that old, I wouldn't think.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Guess my father is picking one up tomorrow! He prefers slower flying planes as his reflexes are not what they used to be. In fact, he bought a Speedy Bee ARF recently and decided to sell it to me instead of building it himself. Figures it might be too much for him. I have built the Yard Bee kit in the past and had a lot of fun with it and also have Stagger Bee and Lazy Bee kits set aside for later builds. I prefer faster aircraft tho along with 3D type planes. My one slow plane is a Slow Stick which is fun but I think I would be bored quickly with a Big Lazy Bee so it would be a waste of money for me unless I stuck some kind of camera or videocam in it. I suppose as I get grayer my tastes might change.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Your last sentence hit the nail right on the head. I intend to use it as a video/surveillance platform. It's humongous wing area, in a short wingspan, should permit it to get off the ground fast in confined spaces. The low aspect ratio wing isn't all that efficient, so it should be able to get back into a restricted landing zone rather easily. I'm thinking about setting it up with flaps for crow.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Naw, I don't think it just "you" Old Farts, Remember Rolf from a few years back

He posted all those great videos, some of them were of his big lazy bee with the os .70, MCP, fitted with a bomb bay and all that good stuff.

Unfortunately, the site seems to be gone now, but some of his videos still live on here on my hard drive. It took a LONG time to download some 369 MEG of files on a dialup connection, but it was worth it.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

My favorite local hobby shop actually has one of these in stock. I think they're cool looking, and I'll bet it would be fun to fly one.

Reply to
Ed Paasch

You know, I half remember that. Back then I was running one of the world's slowest dial-up connections. Now I am running one of the world's slowest cable connections.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I bought Clancy's video tape of the original Lazy Bee before I moved to Georgia in 1998. I was in love with that little rascal. He featured an electric version and a 1/2A powered version.

One of the segments featured an electric version on floats. He would take off and the local birds would begin following it around the pond. Neat.

Now that there are ARF versions available, I have accumulated several of them. The old stick version kit was just too much for me to handle building (health). The ARFs sure help a lot in that regard.

I bought a TT .07 engine for the small ARF. Now I hear that this engine isn't all that good. Any users of this engine with comments? Much appreciated.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

No first-hand experience, but I've actually heard just the opposite. I read a review somewhere praising the GP .07 by Thunder Tiger as being one of the smoothest running and most reliable 1/2A motors available. Let us know how yours turns out!

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I was thinking the same thing. I thought I remembered reading great things about that engine....

Good flying, desmobob

Reply to
desmobob

So did I. That's why I bought it, but since then I've heard otherwise. Of course, we all know how opinions go. What pleases some folks may not please others, with equally valid reasoning.

It's here, it's paid for, I'm keeping it.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Is there a message there?....

/
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" >>>since

I live in the sticks of Georgia. We just got DSL capability. I'm half way through the install now. Cable is going bye-byes in a few days. Too slow during prime time.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Been there, done that. DSL finally got out to me about 2 years ago. Unfortunately, the Atlanta urban sprawl area is just about to swallow my county. I moved as far away as I could commute comfortably, but 10 years later the city is catching up....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I did that 15 years ago with the same end result. "Civilization" with all its unpleasant trash pemeats this area.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High