bearings

Has anyone ever removed the tiny cam shaft bearings from a four stroke. I
have replaced numerous crankshaft bearings but can't figure how to get these
little dudes out.
TIA
David
Reply to
David
The way I do it is bend over a piece of coathangar wire just enough so that it'll fit through the hole in the bearing. Then I heat it and flatten it a bit and quench it in some water to harden it a little. Then I heat the crankcase in a 300 deg F oven for about 15-20 minutes. Use the wire as a hook to grab the bearing and pull it out.
-- Paul McIntosh
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Heat up the case with a torch and slap it on a piece of wood.
If that doesn't work, use a couple of small flat head machine screws. Work 'em in place with the heads down in the hole in the bearing. Lock 'em in place using another screw or a piece of wire and a wheel collar. Apply a little heat with a propane torch, and pull 'em out.
Reply to
dbdorton
I don't think it is a good idea to heat aluminum with a torch to get bearings out. Unlike most other metals, aluminum doesn't give many visual clues that it is about to melt or change characteristcs. A heat gun is better and an oven is best.
-- Paul McIntosh
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Or make up a piece of slightly tapered wooden dowel that is a tight interference fit in the bore.
Heat up crankcase and gently pull ......
Reply to
C W

Site Timeline