bearings

Has anyone ever removed the tiny cam shaft bearings from a four stroke. I have replaced numerous crankshaft bearings but can't figure how to get these little dudes out. TIA David

Reply to
David

The way I do it is bend over a piece of coathangar wire just enough so that it'll fit through the hole in the bearing. Then I heat it and flatten it a bit and quench it in some water to harden it a little. Then I heat the crankcase in a 300 deg F oven for about 15-20 minutes. Use the wire as a hook to grab the bearing and pull it out.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Heat up the case with a torch and slap it on a piece of wood.

If that doesn't work, use a couple of small flat head machine screws. Work 'em in place with the heads down in the hole in the bearing. Lock 'em in place using another screw or a piece of wire and a wheel collar. Apply a little heat with a propane torch, and pull 'em out.

Reply to
dbdorton

I don't think it is a good idea to heat aluminum with a torch to get bearings out. Unlike most other metals, aluminum doesn't give many visual clues that it is about to melt or change characteristcs. A heat gun is better and an oven is best.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Or make up a piece of slightly tapered wooden dowel that is a tight interference fit in the bore.

Heat up crankcase and gently pull ......

Reply to
C W