Beginner Question - Where to Solder Capacitors to Elec. Motor

I'm building an electric model - the Graupner Tipsy. I have the speed

280 motor and the GS100 controller. It came with 2 capacitors. Where do I solder the capacitors onto the motor:

- Do I solder both of them accross the two leads of the motor

- Or should I solder each capacitor from one lead on the motor to the motor housing

Thanks for your help!

Matt Dunn snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Gerald Dunn

| I'm building an electric model - the Graupner Tipsy. I have the speed | 280 motor and the GS100 controller. It came with 2 capacitors. Where | do I solder the capacitors onto the motor: | - Do I solder both of them accross the two leads of the motor | - Or should I solder each capacitor from one lead on the motor to the | motor housing

The latter.

Solder one between the positive terminal and the motor case, and solder the other between the negative terminal and the motor case.

This way, they'll reduce RF noise generated between any of these three connections. If you just do them from terminal to terminal, they'll help, but not as much.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Matt, As a veteran Tipsy driver of 2=BD years, I can give you a couple of tips. The plane is incredibly fragile and you'll snap the tailboom off in the first less-than-perfect touchdown. To be 'landing survivable' at all, the fuz must be beefed up from nose to tail with CF tape and/or packing tape (I use Scotch brand clear packing tape). Also, the wing must be similarly reinforced or it will soon develop stress cracks right at the root from flexing. And by all means get rid of that rediculous folding prop (it has a shallow pitch of 2.3"), and go to a prop of at least 3" pitch. It'll make a world of difference in performance, and the plane will maintain level flight at a much lower throttle setting. It will even ROG, which was impossible with the old prop. I finally settled on the Gunther 4.9 X 4.3, commonly known as the 'Wingo' prop (also used on Zagis). The motor is the stock 280. Previous to the prop change, I had assumed a higher pitch would stress the motor too much, and received dire warnings to that effect from the folks on EZone. But the exact opposite has been the case. So far the motor shows no signs of stress, and is barely warm to the touch after 45 minute flights. With the old prop, max run time was only a half hour. Run time is substantially _increased_ with a decent prop match. The caveat is to not use high throttle except in short bursts, such as ROGing, accelerating to loop (yeah, it will loop from level flight now), and getting out of tight spots. I can confidently launch into turbulence I would never have dreamed of flying in before. The plane just powers right thru the turbulence, and flys in winds up to

12-15 mph. With the aforementioned mods, the plane suffers no breakage and flies great on the stock motor. i still can't understand Graupner's rationale for using (and continuing to use) that rediculous prop. To fly the plane at all, it had to run at very high RPM, wailing away loudly like a banshee. It must've been wasting additional power just in radiated sonic energy. The new prop just emits a benign whirr. = Bill(oc)
Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Reply to
Hawkey