Broadband over Power Lines (BPL)

and we know all this HOW EXACTLY??

I've seen a lot of knee jerk stuff here but I'm waiting for the evidence

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Think Enron. You will understand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Precisely. You will need the equivalent of ADSL DSLAMS at every transformer. Which will put the cost right back up again.

Thats why Microwaves are so promising. No need fo last 10 miles of copper or fibre, and the termination cost per customer is hugely lower.

Of course it won't make money for incumbent PTT's or power companies, so it will probably be subject to cries of 'interference' and 'health hazard' from carefully funded lobby groups...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not emerging. Its been around for many years. It just got a bit better.

It still has an upper limit tho, way below the other alternatives - fober or microwave.

At best its an intermedieate stopgap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Test have already been done in Europe, Germany I think, and they abandoned it because of the interference problems. I don't have any links to offer absolute proof.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

We are secondary users of the 72 MHz band. We have a channel every 20 KHz and the pagers/commerical R/C are every 20 KHz but offset by 10 KHz which puts them between our channels. That is why we must stay within +-4 KHZ of our assigned frequency.

BPL is bad news for everyone. Our flying field is in the middle of a triangle of three cities at a land fill. You would think we would not have a worry. Guess what, in addition to 7200 volt lines around the field there is a very high tension line only 2500 feet away.

In article , Dan Thompson wrote: | In article , snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug | McLaren) writes: | | >R/C users have to accept interference, yes, but we're not secondary | >users of the 20 khz chunks of the 72/75 mhz bands that we use. Or, at | >least if we're secondary users, there is no primary user. | >

| >(We share the 72 mhz band with pagers and who knows what else. It's | >dividied up into chunks -- 20 khz for us, 20 khz for them, 20 khz for | >us, etc.) | | We are secondary users of the 72 MHz band.

But we are primary users of our 20 khz chunks, are we not? Certainly, the FCC hasn't allocated them for anything but R/C flying.

| We have a channel every 20 KHz and the pagers/commerical R/C are | every 20 KHz but offset by 10 KHz which puts th between our | channels. That is why we must stay within +-4 KHZ of our assigned | frequency.

Don't they have the same requirement of staying within their assigned frequencies?

| BPL is bad news for everyone.

Not quite everyone. Assuming it works as advertised, it's good for those needing fast Internet access cheaply.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

In article , Bob Cowell wrote: | | and we know all this HOW EXACTLY?? | | I've seen a lot of knee jerk stuff here | but I'm waiting for the evidence

Ask and ye shall receive ...

Ham radio isn't all about frequencies below 80 mhz, but that's a certainly a huge part of it. It's the part that's used for DXing, so BPL could effectively kill any sort of long distance ham radio communication, especially those doing it with low power.

| On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:46:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com (Doug McLaren) wrote: | | >Still, BPL is bad. It's a disaster for ham radio -- it would | >effectively ruin anything that involves weak signals under 80 mhz, and | >it's a possible disaster (it depends on the specifics) for us.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

BAH mostly bad links or links that have been hijacked and take you somewhere else.

got anything better?

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Those living 30 miles off the main are a tiny minority! They're also the ones without cable TV. Even so, the transformers don't last forever! They will be replaced/serviced on a regular basis. It will get to them eventually or, the next great leap will step in. Like a UAV orbiting at 60k and functioning as the great cell tower in the sky! Don't laugh! It's being tested and developed as we speak!

trasmission

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Yes, they are a tiny minority. But, they are just the minority that BPL technology seeks to supply broadband to. Telco and cable services already reach something like 95% of the US population right now.

I don't see transformer replacement as an issue. The issue would be having to place some kind of bridge around every transformer in the line as these signals just can't be forced through a transformer.

In the UK, small towns and rural hamlets have to wait until they get 300-500 subscribers before BT will install the switching equipment for broadband. How many rural US customers do you think it would need to get bridging equipment installed? It won't be cheap so I would bet that the small minority that would benefit from it still won't get it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The transformer on the pole in my backyard that supplies the 220/110 to 8 houses had been there for at least 27 years - I've lived here that long. I suspect it is the original which would put it installed in 1964 !

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

And you're suggesting that in all that time the power company has not bothered to look at it even once?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

If it isn't stressed too bad, it'll be there another 20 years. The transformer behind my parent's house has been replaced once in 50 years. They have to go through my parent's yard to get to it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I talked to a utilty rep that looked at the rusty exterior streaks and was told not to worry.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Reply to
jim breeeyar

Reply to
jim breeeyar

maybe the AMA should look at changing frequencies to the 2 meter band. Pretty soon all that is going to be required is to sign your name to get a license.

Reply to
jim breeeyar

Nah!, Somebody will start "No Sign International and you will just have to make an X, so as not to exclude those unable to write. Then they will get someone to post messages for them that writing is just an ego trip to make others feel bad.

Reply to
W4JLE