Broadband over Power lines

Hello;

Today I learned that the utility company that serves my area is planning to offer Broadband Internet access over its power lines. In the interest of scientific discovery, I'll let you all know if it begins interfering with my GWS single-conversion receiver...

Question, though: To establish a "control", should I start flying near power lines now? :^)

Dan.

Reply to
BÿkrDan

Dan,

If you don't mind, could you post the area where you live?

I think you were joking, but it's not a good idea to fly near power lines at any time.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Not at all - I'm in Cincinnati...

You can read about it here:

I was half-joking about the power line thing: My main flying site is near a road where overhead lines are carried, and is also within view of transmission lines.

Dan.

Reply to
BÿkrDan

Dan,

Interesting. Please keep the group informed on these happenings as they affect, or don't, R/C air.

My mention of not flying near power lines comes from numerous augers club members have had when flying near high voltage lines at our field.

An interesting side note is the power lines are a long way from the club's normal traffic pattern, and perhaps the incidents were caused more by visibility/orientation issues, than radio interference.

Of course in most R/C clubs, a crash is invariably caused by radio hits.

Thanks for the link. Mike

Reply to
Mike

| My mention of not flying near power lines comes from numerous augers | club members have had when flying near high voltage lines at our | field.

Well, power lines do sometimes emit RF noise, even without BPL. Once you can track it down, the electric company will usually act very quickly to fix it, but it's often not easy to track down. Your local hams may help if you're having problems with this (doesn't sound like you are.)

| An interesting side note is the power lines are a long way from the club's | normal traffic pattern, and perhaps the incidents were caused more by | visibility/orientation issues, than radio interference.

Could be. | Of course in most R/C clubs, a crash is invariably caused by radio hits.

You've noticed that too, huh? :)

I once flew my sloper flying wing into a power line. It bounced off, recovered, no damage done, and I kept flying, being more careful not fly that far down anymore :)

On the other hand, this picture --

was sent to me by a poster here -- I'll bet that was a sight to watch!

Reply to
Doug McLaren

YEEEEEEOUCH! I always wondered why the warnings against flying near power lines; due to the potential for damage to the plane or wires, or the risk if interference. Now I guess I know!

I'mpressive - though the plane is clearly fried to a crisp, it must have been flown in to a decent landing, on fire, as the airframe is still in one piece!

Reply to
BÿkrDan

ok why would the plane be fried or on fire ??

do birds fry or catch fire (under normal circumstances) when on the highwires ? I think not/// you must be grounded in order to complete a circuit to cause any combustion.

Dell Shannon

You've obviously never seen a raven try to do a hard turn between two lines and touch a wingtip to both. Poof!

-- Dave Thompson

Reply to
Dave Thompson

Or seen birds landing (going poof) on the 500KV lines.

Reply to
Mike

Line to line would actually be higher voltage than line to ground. He might have laid the wing across two wires, or made the gap close enough to jump the extra distance.

Reply to
John Alt

cant say as I have.......what a vision LOL !!

Reply to
Dell Shannon

ROFLOL! Recognized the pictures as they hung on the LHS bulletin board for

3 or 4 years. Chris, you around?

It got hung up in the lines until all the monocote departed (rather abruptly!). That is how it got that way.

When you hit ONE line, the physical damage is limited to the structural hit from the wire. However when you CROSS TWO lines the results are spectacular. Turned the lights out in a subdivision.

BTW, it WAS a Telemaster. It was not my plane or my pictures, but I know who and where this happened.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Unless you bridge two separate lines.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Its very easy to get multipath reflections off lines, and totally null out the transmitter in certain spots.

Even a long wire fence is bad news.

Thats before any broadband gets on to them as well :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Interesting, I am surprised that made a difference. But obviously it did. Neat trick.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends on the set up of the power line. Or it may even be that the plane struck the line at the pylon and shorted out the insulator. Who knows...

Reply to
Tim

Just curious, do you serve Red or White with Fried Telemaster?

Mike Bealmear

They changed the wavelength of the fencing, thereby the intereference.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

That one is easy. Crow! Club rules are to avoid the power lines. He broke them.

Almost all of those who have NOT hit the wires always claim they never get anywhere near them and surely do not go outside them. We only have two kinds of pilots, those that have and those that will.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High