Broadband over Power lines

Its not NORMALLY an issue, since its likley to be way down in the few hudred Khz for a decent lengh of fencing, and normally wet fence poles effectively earh it anyway. Unless it was in arizona, where the poles would be rather drier than the UK!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It was in Sacramento, CA. Rather dry during the main flying season.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I agree with you in theory. However, as we all know theory is only as good as the data known. When you are dealing with a wire/fence and RF, things happen that cause theory be incorrect. Fences can cause strange behavior of RF due to rust in the wire connections, bad grounding and a multitude of variables.

We have a 600 foot chain link fence that parallels the runway. For several years, intermittenly I would get glitches. Some I could repeat by flying through the same area at the same altitude. Also, they occurred in the morning before noon. At about 11 A.M. the glitches would disappear. I always blamed the fence for multipath problems, but it is hard to prove and even harder to convince other club members of the problem. I also theorized that the early morning problem had something to do with ground moisture in conjunction with the fence.

An interesting thing happened. The club bought 4 of the metal car ports to use as shelters. They are placed between the fence and the runway. Ever since they were installed, I have not had any more glitches on any plane.

My theory is the shelters broke up the mirror effect (multipath reflector) that the fence had in conjunction with ground moisture. Could I have solved the problem by better grounding the fence? Don't know, but I am glad they are gone.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson