Injury, again...

A long time r/c'er in our club was injured today while holding a glow powered glider and reaching under the spinning propeller for his radio. He did not have the radio beside him, but leaning against his field box, with the plane between himself and the radio. He lost a chunk of flesh from the top of his forearm, large enough to require stitches.

Stay out of harm's way, folks. This was only a 49.

Last year, a new flyer in another club did not tether his plane (was going to hold it by hand), started it, wide open throttle (he did not have the radio on; throttle was wide open from previous flight). Because of full throttle and the way it was being held, it turned towards him and his arm. Almost 100 stitches in his forearm along with a severed artery. He was lucky help was nearby.... . Arne, USA (I finally caught up with 'The Joneses') . .

Reply to
Arne

Thanks for the reminders, Arne.

It's amazing how little it takes to pick up a major injury. :o(

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Accidents happen and it is good that someone points out the ramifications of being careless. However, it seems to me that no matter how hard we yell at idiots, they still manage to mess things up enough to drop blood all over the place. Well you can now rejoice. One of the candidates for AMA president is the guy who wants us all to have APPOINTED safety nazies who can say you may or may not fly. This appointed guy is not supposed to answer to your local club, but to the AMA. He is supposed to investigate every incident. Hope you don't break any props.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Reply to
Rumprider

ramifications

investigate

Morris, The questions you asked are only the tip of the iceberg and the implications are not nice. To answer your question, we need to look at the candidates (as selected by the Nominating Committee on July 2, 2004):

The candidates for President are: Dave Brown Dave Mathewson Bill Oberdieck

Dave Brown (in public and private) is concerned that we are not taking safety seriously enough, so *I* would say he supports this idea more than opposes it. Dave Mathewson has not publicly set a course on it, but I have heard he dislikes the total package even though there ARE parts he thinks we need to address. The written report was submitted to the AMA EC by a committe headed by Bill Oberdieck. So I am fairly sure the idea has his name on it.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

This was my take on it yesterday. I hit "Reply" instead of "Reply to Group". So my comment went nowhere:

Even if he got his way, who would have the time to do all this skulking about? Oh yeah, make them part of Homeland Security...

Tom

Reply to
Tom Johnson

ROFLOL! And I thought this was supposed to be a HOBBY! Shows how much *I* know!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Martin X. Moleski, SJ" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Speaking of which - a few weeks ago, I found a new way to for the airplane to hurt me. I'd just started the engine and went to pull off the ni-starter. Well, when the ni-starter should have popped off, somehow it hung up on one side of the glow plug and instead swung forward, taking my thumb into the back of the prop.

Fortunately, it was the *back* of the prop (and a little of the tip, unfortunately), and the engine wasn't much over idle, so I didn't require stitches - I got off easy! Sure stung, though, and dripped blood all over the back of my car while I was fishing around for the bandages.

Anyway, it's yet another thing to be careful about. Like we needed another thing to be careful about.

Reply to
Mark Miller

AMA simply wants each chartered club to have designated a Safety Officer. This person will be the point of contact in the club for AMA to contact about safety matters. Our club already has a safety officer, has had since the club was formed. We gave AMA his name and email address and went back to flying. It's no big deal.

CR

Six_O'Clock_High wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0= =A0=A0Marty

Believe it ! Just the other day I was hand launching a little clone 'XBow' reverse-swept wing powered a 280 size electric motor, spinning a 'Wingo' pusher prop. I got zanged right between the thumb and first finger and was bleeding all over the place. And that was just from a 'toy'. Bill(oc)

Reply to
Bill Sheppard

Go on site and READ the document that has the recommendations before you make those assertions. It is an eyeopener.

investigate

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

And Bush wants to register all churches too.

supposed to

Reply to
AAA

I do wish you would get your facts straight instead of attacking from pure hatred. I understand what is going on but fail to see the difference in that and LIEberal preaching from the pulpit.

However, there is NO connection between that and the recommendations of Bill's committee.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Relax, Six...

Your reference to "Safety Nazies" make me believe you might be one of those flyers who believes the safety rules don't apply to them. I hope I'm wrong. I reported what I as a club officer was asked for by AMA.

What's the doc title? I'll look at it.

CR

Six_O'Clock_High wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

Reply to
Roger

Several years ago, a friend of mine started his plane, slid the ni-starter into his pocket, and walked to the flight station. About 3 minutes into the flight, the dance (and language) that was evident was too funny for words as he tried to remove the ni-starter from his pocket when it shorted against his car keys. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Charlie, you are plain wrong! A little thought and you will figure out why. I filled out the same paperwork and what we put down was the requirement for

2004. Go see AMA page as doc #537, "Club Safety Officer" to see what somene wants us to have for 2005.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Thanks Roger, it will be a loooonnnnggg time before I live that one down!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hi,

I just rolled in from the Hospital ER. Was running in a motor on m Superstar EP. Had it clamped to the bench. Somehow got my thum clipped by the prop. Broke the tip of my thumb and had 16 stitches. OWWW. Don't kid yourselves folks, Electric motors can swing a prop fas and hard enough to do substantial damage.

Yes, I should've known better but I think virtually every acciden occurs to people who should know better but mess up anyway.

This was my screw up. I hope not to make another

Regards to all,

Ernie Richardso

-- oneleggim

Instrumental (trumpet, french horn, euphonium, tuba, hand bells /voca

(choirs, barbershop quartette, opera/ wheelchair Sports: Basketball golf, tennis, track, field (discus, shot, javelin, slalom), swimmin

this thread:

oneleggimp

View this thread:

Yep, even the little ones can bite. Electrics pose a special hazard. Push the stick forward, the motor comes on. No flipping or anything! Many of the newer ESCs require arming, though.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee