byron reduction drive

Anyone have a byron reduction drive for the p-51, I know about Iron bay but they do not have the reduction drive.

Reply to
jim

This may not be of too much help, but I know that I have seen several of these reduction units on Ebay in the last few months, with and without engines. You might try doing a search every few days and see what pops up?

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Also there was one for sale recently on rcgroups. I don't know if it sold or not.

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

You don't want one of those unless you have the Byron P-51, because it is too difficult to graft into a different airframe - major surgery of every former forward of the canopy is required.

I looked at putting that Bryon drive in a Bud Nosen P-51 and in a Ziroli design - I would have had to completely re-design the internals in the front half of the fuselage.

The current (vaporware) "reduction drive" shown on the Iron Bay site is considerably different from the original.

Worse by far is the fact that there are no replacement parts available; replacement blades are no more easily found than chicken lips. If you ever broke a blade, you'd have to fabricate the replacement yourself - you'd probably have to replace all four blades just to maintain the balance.

A much better design is available from Mick Reeves at

Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust
L180201 IMAA LM 090 NASA 6512 LHA 3

Reply to
Fred McClellan

I was real hot for one of these for my Byron P-51. UNTIL, I talked to the guy who had one. His plane had a Q-35 with the reduction drive and he said it was very under powered. He told me that he had modified a reduction drive to use a 4.2 Sachs. Didn't make enough difference to justify the expense. The plane didn't have any more power because the prop blades flattened out with more RPM. ??? Bill

Reply to
Bill

If you're really interested in one, I believe I have one in a box in the garage. I am not going to use it since I recently acquired an OS FT-300 twin.

You can e-mail me directly if you wish.

Bruce Bretschneider

jim wrote:

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

We have tested our 3rd generation reduction drive and and getting read

to cut metal on our 4th gen drive. check out our website.

cheers

joe

-- JoeEagl

this thread: