Chinese Guanli Glider : Is this normal?

So here's the story. I buy an electric glider from a relative new seller on eBay. The glider arrives yesterday and I start assembling. The plane comes from Guanli Model of China.

Typical instructions include:

  1. Uncover the mucilage protecting paper in the bottom of the propstand of the empennage and insert the prop stand into the level empennage.

So after a little trial an error I get it mostly togather. However the connecting rod between the rudder and its servo is short by about 7 mm. To connect them togather the servo must be turned off its center. I would end up only being able to turn right. To make it work I'm going to move the rudder forward a little to make up for the short rod length.

The other problem is that I starting charging the 8.4 volt (7xAAA) battery pack and it got very hot within minutes. After I let it cool I discover the charger, which is a simple 9 volt wall wart, is actually putting out 13.4 volts.

I paid $60.00 for this glider plus another $30.00 to ship it. Now here's my basic question. Is this the typical quality that one would expect for a near RTF glider or is it that most models from China are of such poor quality?

Reply to
c a l a n d e

I'm gonna say ....yep. You can do better but you pay more. Thanks for letting us know what to avoid. mk

Reply to
MK

Nope - The fact that it comes out of China is no indication of quality. There's some good stuff and some bad stuff just as there is here. Sounds as though you got some bad stuff. There's a greater possibility of poor quality with the more inexpensive products. Make the adjustments and see how it flies. Please let us know.

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Any chance to just turn the servo around so that the output shaft i

closer to the tail

-- Majortomsk

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Majortomski's Profile:

this thread:

Majortomski

No. The servo is mounted perpendicular to the connecting rod. I thought that I might get away with simply remounting the servo about 10 mm toward the tail section but its' mounted in a frame that won't allow that.

I can move the rudder forward but I'm still not sure that's the best fix. Aren't adjustable control rods available?

I've gotten in contact with the seller and he tells me that he's sold over 50 of these gliders and this is the first complaint.

Reply to
c a l a n d e

I thought that $60 should have been enough so that I got something workable. I expected a little bit of fudging but this is too much.

Reply to
c a l a n d e

Oh yeah, might not be the same as the stock on wyou have but any hobby shop should have pushrods. Is it just wire or is it threaded on the ends with a clevis? mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamilton

You're kidding, right? OK RTF planes start at $100. Decent RTFs at $150. Pretty much everything RTF on ebay is absolute junk.

Dollar amount is no indication of quality.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Are you sure there wasn't more than one pushrod to choose from in the box?

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

It has come to the point that almost everything you see at the major distributors and mail order houses come from China or Vietnam. Some of it is great quality. Some of it is not. Even the stuff you think is made here, Germany, etc. is made in China!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

The linkage rods were already attached to the servos. Since I originally posted I found a local hobby shop to get a replacement rod.

Reply to
c a l a n d e