Servo chatter in the radio box - Is this normal?

Good Evening. After using conventional radios for most of my time in the hobby, I thought I'd give a computer radio a try. I purchased a Futaba 7CAF FM radio, with a T7CAF transmitter, an R127DF receiver, and

4 S3004 servos. I charged up the transmitter and receiver batteries for 15 hours, as the manual suggests, then, without removing anything from the box, I hooked up the battery to the receiver through the switch. When I turned the transmitter and receiver switches on, the first thing I noticed was chattering of the servos. This seemed to worsen as I walked further away, with the transmitter, from the radio box. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Will the chatter problem go away if I unfold the receiver antenna? I am leery of using this system in a plane until I can get the chatter problem resolved. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Harry Sanchez snipped-for-privacy@jetlink.net

Reply to
Harry Sanchez

The antenna needs to be fully unfolded and you should also make sure that it does not cross over a servo wire (or cross itself) as this in effect shortens the effective antenna length. On some applications where the fuselage may be too short in relation to the antenna, people wind the antenna over a piece of balsa or plastic (without crossing the wires) and this is Ok too.

Reply to
ahdofu

If it's brand new you might need to unravel the antennae. Seems silly to say but you might have forgotten. mk

Reply to
MK

Reply to
R.A.Gareau

Just a question - you did unplug the charger right?

Otherwise you'll get jitter city, at least on any radio I've ever owned.

Reply to
mjd

Just make sure you have selected PCM/PPM on the tx accordingly!

Reply to
chris-s