Servo chatter in the radio box - Is this normal?

Good Evening. After using conventional radios for most of my time in
the hobby, I thought I'd give a computer radio a try. I purchased a
Futaba 7CAF FM radio, with a T7CAF transmitter, an R127DF receiver, and
4 S3004 servos. I charged up the transmitter and receiver batteries for
15 hours, as the manual suggests, then, without removing anything from
the box, I hooked up the battery to the receiver through the switch.
When I turned the transmitter and receiver switches on, the first thing
I noticed was chattering of the servos. This seemed to worsen as I
walked further away, with the transmitter, from the radio box. Has
anyone else encountered this problem? Will the chatter problem go away
if I unfold the receiver antenna? I am leery of using this system in a
plane until I can get the chatter problem resolved. Any advice would be
appreciated.
Thanks,
Harry Sanchez
snipped-for-privacy@jetlink.net
Reply to
Harry Sanchez
The antenna needs to be fully unfolded and you should also make sure that it does not cross over a servo wire (or cross itself) as this in effect shortens the effective antenna length. On some applications where the fuselage may be too short in relation to the antenna, people wind the antenna over a piece of balsa or plastic (without crossing the wires) and this is Ok too.
Reply to
ahdofu
If it's brand new you might need to unravel the antennae. Seems silly to say but you might have forgotten. mk
Reply to
MK
NEVER FOLD THE ANTENNA OVER ITSELF ALWAYS FLY WITH IT FULLY EXTENDED,AND MAKE SURE THAT ANY WIRE FROM BATTERIES OR SERVOS ARE CLOSERT THEN 1 INCH, BEST is to attach the antenna on top of the fin and let it fly out.Ray
Reply to
R.A.Gareau
Just a question - you did unplug the charger right?
Otherwise you'll get jitter city, at least on any radio I've ever owned.
Reply to
mjd

Site Timeline