Radio Control Varmint Control

Living out of city limits comes with varmints (skunk, raccoon, possum, coyote, etc.). Since I've been into R/C models for many years, I've been
thinking about an R/C toy that could be useful for varmint control. The general idea is a model vehicle, tank or 4X4 truck type model, and add some kind of gun (air gun?) that would be as near lethal (to varmints) as legally possible. The gun wouldn't need to be lethal as long as it could deter the varmints return. The gun on the vehicle would be aimed with the aid of a wireless on board camera.
Ideas on the vehicle or aiming device are good but I'm especially looking for ideas on the gun (or other method to chase away varmints). I'm figuring on using my 6 channel radio, 1 channel for forward & reverse + speed, a channel for steering, two channels for gun pointing, and 2 channels for firing (safety + trigger). So what about a paintball gun, perhaps with solid plastic balls? Or maybe a CO2 BB pistol? Pepper Spray? Other? (no flame throwers in case I have to send the vehicle under the house after a varmint :-) I shot our pet ducks with an airsoft gun before and it didn't seem to bother them, I don't think they felt it through their feathers, I doubt an airsoft gun would drive a possum away either.
RogerN

It would be useful to first see how close you can get to various varmints with an RC mobile device.
I suspect that none of the "control" measures you suggest would work, regardless of range. I can guarantee that none of the mentioned varmints would be controlled by a CO2 BB pistol.
In my experience, training and/or motivation doesn't work with varmints. The only ways to control them are to exclude them with barriers, or kill them as humanely as possible. Even livetrapping and transport often doesn't work because they find their way back.

The general idea is to leave this vehicle in the car port and set motion detecting software to work with the image from the camera to alert me to take a look at the camera. When the varmints come in to the carport to steal the cat food or get in the trash is when the vehicle is in range. Hopefully the first audible noise being made will be firing.
If I had to try to aim a gun while driving the vehicle and hit a target, now that would be challenging! I've also wondered how a vehicle would handle if I installed a heading hold gyro from a model helicopter in one.
RogerN

Please keep us posted on your inventions and progress. Having fun is job 1 as long as it's legal and not harmful to other people.
If you enjoy tech challenge, accurate shooting while moving at high speed (for tanks, speed classified but >45km/h) was possible with '70s technology -- with the target also moving. Should be cake with today's DSP's and such.

<snip>
That would be neat. I used to be a machine vision system integrator and always thought it would be interesting to use visual feedback to aim a camera (or gun) to track an object. Using a night vision video camera with IR illumination and software to track a varmint while moving, and calculate the target position based on bullet and target trajectory would be interesting.
If I do something along this line, the first attempts might be to mount a stationary gun turret pointed toward the cat food bowl and a couple of servos to adjust the aim. Many of the varmints around here don't scare too easily, maybe a little noise from servos wouldn't scare them away. But then again if the servo noise scares varmints away I guess I've accomplished my goal.
RogerN
Sounds like a neat project, but it also sounds like it's a bit more than you need for the task at hand. If you build it, build at least 2. Mobile armor search and destroy missions in the back yard sounds like fun.
You have 2 stationary targets. Cat's food and trash can. You don't want to scare off the cats, so short of a target identification system, it's going to be manual.
Motion detector triggered alarm with a camera focused on the target area. ID target and then activate deterrent system. Bright/strobe lights, high frequency sound, water spray. Recording of a raptors cry or a dog growling? Heck---gut a junker bug zapper, lay the screens down under the cats bowl. When you hit the switch on that one it will get their attention! An electric airsoft machine gun at close range has a nasty sting, and it would be easy to rig for remote operation.

Don't know if it would be legal... by a long shot, or if there are any of a size suitable for your applicaton, but there are some precharged pneumatics (PCPs) with enough energy to easily kill small game. There are some that claim the energey to kill mid to large size game (deer maybe, but not a hippo). They will also put a hole in your garage, nasty dent in your car, break glass, and reek all kinds of havoc if discharged carelessly.
RogerN wrote:

That's the ticket! A miniature UH-60 with a gas rifle! Chase those varmints across the neighborhood, pop-pop-pop! As a side business, you could sell the gun camera video!
Jon

Bet you'd enjoy the novel "Butcher Bird" by Dean Ing. http://tinyurl.com/c9loaw
It didn't get great reviews but I enjoyed it a lot and I'd think that any RC enthusiast would find it fun.

Bait the critters so they come close to the servo that throws a switch and ignites charge that could be a H-100 dipped in glue and rolled in BBs. Protect the receiver/servo with some well placed steel. All you need is binoculars and the transmitter. You could make them directional like a Claymore. BB gun = little girl, C-4 = MAN!!!
What about a Taser?
Doug White
RogerN wrote:

Need "real" gun to be effective. .22 loaded with shot shells is usually preferred for close range varmint elimination with minimal risk to the surrounding area.

The CCI blue nosed shot rounds in 22lr are rather effective if fired in a smooth bore. Which means its rather easy to make up a firearm in the home shop. Perhaps a single shot action with a 12" barrel
And legal as well
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
Gunner Asch wrote:

I've been watching the other gun thread and knowing you are located a fair way from navigable water, and that you are temporarily recoil adverse, I've been having visions of a punt gun mounted on a mechanic's creeper. Now with this thread, its all come together . . . .
<http://www.timmytools.co.uk/marksman-mechanics-creeper-p-116.html
+
<http://www.bluerockheritage.com/tom_knapp_and_the_punt_gun.htm
+ the guts of a RC model
A remote control punt gun creeper :-)
Further thoughts:
Aim the whole vehicle. Maybe a extra channel for a fine lateral drive of the butt end
Another RC channel needed for an elevation screw or wedge.
TWO webcams needed. One for general forward view, with a 1/3 field periscope for backing up, and a gauge for the amount of elevation also visible in its field and the other looking through the telescopic sights.
Then all you need is some targets . . . . . . .
(and an appreciative audience)
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:24:59 +0000, IanM

Humm....we could have a new Olympic sport...Uphill Luge.....
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

After shooting a small snake 5 or 6 times with shot filled 9mm cartridges and watching the snake continue to slither away into the weeds, I was under the impression (hopefully false) that the shot filled cartridges were ineffective. They were fired at close range but the gun was a Ruger 9MM (p89 or something like that). The snake may have later died but I was left with the impression that the cartridges were useless.
The 22lr with a smooth bore 12" barrel might be just the thing for close range varmint control. I was afraid that pulling the trigger with R/C might be illegal for FOID required ammo. Anyway, I have some shot cups for 44 magnum loads, that would make an interesting model tank!
RogerN

I know from experience that it can take quite a few hits from .22 shot shells to stop/drop a good-sized rat at close range. I don't know about 'possums, but raccoons are pretty tough.

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    Hmm ... one of the .22 Gatling guns -- mechanically interlocked so you have to push the remote button once per shot to keep it legal (if that would be sufficient).
    Enjoy,         DoN.

The big problem with the various shot loads is the effect rifling spin has on the shot column. As it exits the barrel, it becomes a swirling cloud that disipates in very short order. A smooth bore keeps the shot in a column.
Ive....er...ahum....Had... an elderly Thompson Contender (well..several) in 44 magnum, with the "Hot Shot" choke (might be illegal in California..so Had one..thats right...had.
Similar to this <http://www.gunsamerica.com/976908389/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Thompson-Center-Pistols/Contender/CONTENDER_10_BBL_44_MAG_WITH_CHOKE.htm
http://www.notpurfect.com/main/tcc.htm
With the choke screwed in, I regularly rode on the front of a cotton picker and shot pheasants as they flew up in front of the machine.\ With the choke out...it would be hard pressed to put a couple shot hits on a soda can at 25 feet.
Gunner
"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 10:02:56 -0800, Gunner Asch

Chamber barrel for this...
<G>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17-357_RG