Guns + technology

I've been researching on the internet and experimenting for my radio control varmint control project I'm working on.

Anyway, you can get cheap wireless cameras, remove the IR filter, mount them to a rifle (or pistol) scope, and provide an infrared light source either with LED's or filters over a flashlight. Then get some heads up display glasses or video monitoring glasses. You can have a night vision capable gun that you can fire from cover. They also have IR laser sights that can only be seen with night vision equipment or IR cameras. What a way to cheat at paintball! Also would be great for home defense.

From that point add radio control pointing and a remote control trigger pull device and you're ready to be a threat to varmints or ???

Just thought this was interesting technology compared to a $500 night vision rifle scope.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

IR capability is fairly cheap (and there are some near pro-level cameras where if you remove the filter you can photograph thru clothes fairly well) as long as you aren't worried about detection by someone else with IR capabilities.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Wasn't one of the early video cameras, maybe Sony, capable of this?

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yeah, the early Sony camcorders with nightshot. The image sensors are sensitive to IR, after their x-ray capability was discovered the manufacturers put IR filters between the lens and CCD. If you take this IR filter out and provide an IR light source, you get pretty decent night vision. I'm looking at ordering some directional IR LED's to try to light farther and in a narrower field of view hopefully centered around a scopes crosshairs.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN