Pellet Gun Idea

I'm wondering about scaling a potato gun down to maybe 22 Cal. pellet gun size (or anything between 17 and 50 cal.). What about firing it like a Paslode cordless nailer? Just wondering how powerful something like this could be? What kind of pressures can you get out of combustion of gasses vs. what you get out of something like a Gamo pellet rifle?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Quite some time back I used to empty out 5.56 rounds and shoot soap pellets to kill bunker rats (primer only).

But the above, will any powder load would likely be deadly.

Reply to
cavelamb

The DARPA is on it.

Basically a fuel injected, electrically ignited, liquid propellant fueledartillery piece that removes *tons* of logistics from arty commanders and taxpayers.

It can burn off rounds as fast as they can be fed to the breech, the limit being the thermal load on the breech and barrel.

Google AFAS.

Reply to
Scott

Roger:

Somewhat obliquely related. I made a crude pellet gun with a length of stainless tubing, a ball valve, and a Nitrous Oxide tank. It would go through empty Pepsi cans. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

I do actually have about six months of propane/02 mixing under my belt in my attempt to defeat gophers at my property line. (I have since discovered how to trap them, much to the delight of wifey, the neighbors, and mostly my dogs.) Combustion of gases is a precise mixing thing, as once you get anything within the combustion range, it will fire. The strength of the expansion, of course, will depend on the precise measurement of that mixture. It ranged from a dull thud/whoosh to a .357 fired 2" away from the ear canal thing. I am still toying with the idea of a 4th of July/New Year's Eve cannon, but that's in the R&D stage. 180 db with window shattering for effect:

And be VERY careful if you do play with combustible gases.

Don't ask how I know.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Remember the little freon powered BB machine guns you used to be able to buy in the back of Popular Mechanics and other magazines? Man, I wonder how many tons of freon was vented via those things....

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Hijacking the thread for a moment...

Steve,

What actually worked for getting rid of the little gomers? We are moving and have gophers in the yard. So does everybody else around there.

It's in a residential neighborhood, do HE is probably out. Sad.

.22 doesn't make much noise - but you have to have a target.

Just thought I'd ask...

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

Gopher traps placed at the end of the freshest mound. Use an old large kitchen spoon to scoop out a big enough space for the trap. Seal it when you're done; I like a flat piece of plywood about a foot square, with dirt around to seal out the light. If they see light, they can be shy. They run around in all the tunnels, but the terminus (freshest) end is where I get

90% of them. Some of these will be so fresh you can look down into the tunnel, they haven't sealed it from the inside. They have come with their head poking out when I'm working. I carry an old Colt Police Special from the Cleveland Police Department in .22 cal with ratshot in case one tries my patience. A neat gun with the exact dimensions and weight of the .38 cal. service revolver. Be careful when setting traps, or you will pierce a finger to the bone. Also the damn trap is so infinitely simple, it takes an average of an hour to figure one out. They are most active from near sundown to sunup, so put your traps to catch them then. It is really easier and safer than all that mixed gas stuff. Not as much fun, tho. Yeah, those fast flying rocks to the forehead, and exciting fires are a lot of fun.

And get them early as soon as they move in. If you wait until they build a condo complex, a new one just moves into the vacant tunnel.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Copy all, Steve.

Rat shot - thanks for the reminder. I just needed half a reason to get a .22 pistol!

And will get some gopher traps.

It's a little late for early intervention, but I might be able to get a pretty good bounty from the neighbors. Most are elderly and not exactly spry.

They seem to circumnavigate the foundation slabs. Might even tunnel under, but I can't tell on that.

Reply to
cavelamb

I'm not sure how Paslode does it with their cordless nailers but they evidently have it figured out. Not sure if they have mixture sensing or just a timer. I was thinking on using a solenoid valve with a timer and perhaps a needle valve to have some controlled metering. I was wondering if nitrous oxide in the mix would boost performance? I'd like something to shoot hard enough to do harm to varmints such as raccoon or possum. I set up a wireless web cam in the carport and killed a couple of skunks last week.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I'm just wanting something that can take care of varmints at close range. I wonder about some nitrous oxide in combustion with butane (or whatever) in a mini pellet (or bullet) shooting version of a potato gun. I never really thought of it until now but I guess scuba tanks and compressors get pretty high pressure. Also there is the CO2 paintball stuff widely available that might get a pellet going pretty good. I'm just guessing that CO2 might be more cost effective than Nitrous Oxide?

Anyway, my idea is to use some of my spare R/C gear from years of the hobby to make a R/C gun and use a wireless video camera to aim the gun. I've tried cameras to scopes and red dot sights and they work well, no special optics needed. I was wanting to use the camera's infrared capabilities and IR illumination to be able to pick off varmints in the dark. If I get that much done, I thought it would be nice to mount it all to a R/C vehicle such as a model tank or armored car.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Dumb question from a place void of skunks & raccoons - why would you want to kill a skunk / raccoon / possum?

Reply to
K Ludger

Why not .22 cal shorts, or birdshot?

Reply to
Elliot G

Auto exhaust.

Reply to
Elliot G

Use latex or nitril gloves when setting the traps. Keeps your scent off the trap.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Because he moved into their territory and now thinks it is his territory and wants them to get out of his territory. Kinda like the europeans that moved into the new world wanting the natives to go away.

Reply to
Alphonso

You know why the chicken crossed the road?

To show the possum it could be done.

Reply to
Scott

Some air rifles which use a spring driving a piston can diesel if a combustable oil is used in them. Sometimes you get a boost in velocity, and sometimes it blows up the rifle, at least to the point of damaging it. Folks have done this intentionally, but I don't know if any are currently on the market.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Like I say, just concentrate on the freshest mounds. Get a 3/16" rod and sharpen. Weld a T on to it, and use it to probe so you have an idea which way the tunnel takes off. And it is amazing that you think you got six or eight with all the mounds, and when you do trap it, there was only one. One can do an incredible amount of work in a night.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Skunks have appeared all over around here lately, I've been seeing several, mostly dead, on the way to/from work. Assorted critters come around and get in the cat food, get under the house and make scratching noises at night, and the skunks make the area smell. I've had raccoons get in my attic, get in the car port and steal my fish, tear up stuff, etc. I've had Coyote's killing my ducks, and I've seen a few rats and several mice around. I think having a R/C vehicle with a functional gun would be fun to play with and if I can use varmint control as an excuse it justifies it somewhat :-)

I do want a way to control the power to first try to chase unwelcome critters away, but I would like to be able to adjust to lethal if needed. For the most part I think it would be fun to drive a model vehicle around the property and see what the dog's barking at with the live video feed.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN