Metal and Energy

I was just looking at an old Sportman's Guide catalog before tossing it in the trash. One item that caught my eye was a .223 adaptor to use a 209 primer to launch a .22 caliber air gun pellet. What kind of energy is that going to develop? What kind of muzzle velocity will that generate? It might be a nice way to practice pulling the trigger and get some short range target practice with your bolt action .223, although I would be hesitant to use it in an auto.

The thing though is they advertise it for pest control. Seems to me for short range even a pump air gun would be far more economical. As a kid I killed a lot of gophers for the bounty with my Daisy 880. Spring piston guns are so mush more powerful, and now with the gas spring guns on the market for a few years you don't have to worry about leaving them ready to flip the safety and fire killing the spring.

Not even considering the PCP guns. How does this 209 primer propelled .22 pellet compare to a pellet fired out of a pellet gun?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Growing up in the 1960s we would use a CB 22 cartage which was a 22 short bullet and a primer. It was quit a bit more powerful than my Crossman 760 pump but not as powerful as my Sheraton 5 mm pump.

Gentlemen Farmer I work with is reports killing Coyotes with 22 spring gun shooting heavy pellets. Coyotes were in the hen house.

Reply to
toolbreaker

I think you'll find that the CB cap actually contained a small amount of powder. The one with primer only was the BB cap, which we could still get from the UK when I was a kid in the late '50s. I think they were gone a few years after that, but CB caps continued (and may still be around -- I haven't looked).

Reply to
Ed Huntress

A "CB Cap", a small cartridge using the primer for propellant; using a

29 gr. bullet has a MV of about 725 ft./sec. Probably similar to the adapter.
Reply to
john B.

Somebody just needs to pull a bullet from a CB cap and put this to rest.

I do know that Aquila makes two variations, one of which says "sans poudre"

Reply to
Rex

I don't think .22 pellets are anywhere near 29 grains. 11-13 comes to mind.

I'll do that if I can find them. I still have a half box of CB shorts around from my trap line days. At short range they would even punch the skull of a badger.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I shoot both the CB shorts and the sans poudre rounds. The CB shorts do indeed have a little powder and will shoot safely in a rifle. The sans poudre (no powder) rounds will not make it out of a rifle barrel that isn't worn. My old pump Remington .22 is kind of shot out and the sans poudre bullets make it out of the barrel. My Remington bolt action hasn't had quite so many bullets pass through it and the bullets from the sans poudre rounds don't quite make it out. The box for the sans poudre rounds says that they should only be used in pistols. Eric

Reply to
etpm

A .22 caliber round ball, as supplied in the BB Cap, weighs around 18 grains. The small conical bullets in CB caps can run up to 29 grains or so.

The last ones I bought, which was back in 1975, had a bullet at the heavier end of the scale and looked like a slightly shorter version of a .22 Short bullet. Some of them, though, are like little straight-sided cones, and lighter.

Here's an example:

Ed Huntress

"Bob La Londe" on Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:30:04

-0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following: %The thing though is they advertise it for pest control. Seems to me for %short range even a pump air gun would be far more economical.

Might be more "economical" but the "coolness factor" can sell the most amazing stuff. Like adaptors for a 223 rifle allowing it to be used as a pellet gun. I would not want to see the adaptor kit to go the other way. B-)

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I have a sweet old Stevens bolt gun, tube mag with a 22" barrel. It's very satisfying to pop tin cans from the backyard deck. It's so quiet, all you hear is the click of the lockwork, then Thunk as the bullet hits. Work that smooth bolt, repeat.

Sure beats cranking that magnum springer barrel down each round.

Reply to
Rex