Pellet Guns in Illinois

Crazy Illinois. They don't allow shipping of airguns greater than .18 caliber with muzzle velocity greater than 700 FPS. So if there were an airgun in 177 caliber that shot 10,000 FPS, no restriction. But an airgun in a larger caliber that shoots 701 fps, can't ship, even to a firearm dealer. You can have your guns shipped to any state surrounding Illinois, go and pick it up, that's fine. I heard you are supposed to have an FOID to own the restricted airgun but haven't found that documented yet.

I put a 25 caliber PCP air rifle and a pump in my "shopping cart" at walmart.com and an alert popped up that they can't ship the rifle or pump to my local Wal-Mart. I can buy firearms at my local Wal-Mart, but not an air rifle greater than 18 caliber and greater than 700 fps, or even the pump. I selected a Wal-Mart about 60 miles away in Missouri, no problem, I could have the airgun shipped to that location and pick it up, no problem.

Thanks to Chicago Democrat legislation I can buy a 50 caliber semi-auto firearm with over 10,000 ft-lbs energy but can't buy a 25 caliber air rifle with less than 50 ft. lb. energy. Even crazier, in Chicago you can't get sling shots or slingshot ammo, are they going to ban rocks also? If they find a forked stick and a rubber band will you re arrested for attempting to make an illegal weapon? Can't Chicago Democrats be trusted with a sling shot?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Large modern places like Chicago don't want your crap over there, like this:

"Over in Eastern Oklahoma last weekend they had a big gun show where people got to shoot a lot of fully automatic weapons and some WWII weapons. Everybody had a fine time, except for the neighbors, about 3 miles away, who got hit with a shell from a 105 MM Howitzer. The shell (not explosive) went through the wall and wound up inside the house. The gun owner will pay for the damage. The range owner didn't understand how it could have happened. Supposedly all fire was aimed low and everybody had a thorough safety course before the firing began.

The people who lived in the house didn't seem too upset by it. They weren't venting all over the place. Of course they haven't been visited by a lawyer yet." -Bill June 26, 2014

Reply to
mogulah

That makes sense but keeping pellet guns out of the hands of people that can buy more powerful firearms is just plain stupid. I can mail order an AR-15, with 30 round magazines but can't order a bolt action pellet gun and have it shipped to Illinois. I can go to Missouri, Kentucky, or Indiana and buy one though. Illinois stupidity helps surrounding states, seriously, they tax so high businesses and citizens leave.

Another stupidity of Illinois, I can get a concealed carry permit o carry a gun but can't carry a switchblade knife. At least we have knives I can open with one hand these days.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

One can only speculate why you continue to reside in such a place with their restrictive laws.

I would think that an intelligent person would move away from there.

Reply to
The Mighty Ant

My wife and I both have family in town. Have a decent paying job for the area, one weeks take home pay will make 3 monthly house payments. Also have a home machine shop with 3 mills, 2 lathes, with an average weight over

2000 lbs per machine. I would probably need a fleet of trucks and a loading ramp at each end to move, lol. A bit old to relocate and start over. If I found a job in a nearby state that paid enough for living there and keeping my current house, I'd be interested. I get a lot of calls from recruiters but most are up North farther away than I want to live and/or don't pay enough more to be worth moving.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Do you think that it's possible that the lawmakers would prefer to also ban the 30 round magazines and the AR 15 but were not able to get the legislat ion through? I doubt seriously that, if you scratch the surface, you'll fin d a vendetta against BB guns. This was probably a small part of a much bigg er bill.

Reply to
rangerssuck

The way those things generally happen is that they get tacked onto a bill outlawing "dangerous weapons," along with brass knuckles, hand grenades, and so on. That's what happened in NJ. I fought like hell about it and even testified in a state Senate hearing to keep it from being enacted. No joy.

But they were in a feeding frenzy. There are several other states -- in some cases, just particular counties -- that have banned slingshots. And 18 states have outlawed them for hunting.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Actually, they're not outlawed in Illinois. As usual, Roger has his panties in a bunch because he can't mail order them. .177s below 700fps are considered toys and you get then at the toystore. Above 177 or above 700 fps you have to get from a gun dealer.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Of course, he can mail order his 9mm handguns and carry permit.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

It was the mail order 50cal; semiauto that gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

That was right but was changed in 2012. I have found this information other places but Pyramid Air has a list including slingshots and such.

Illinois

Effective July 13, 2012: There is no velocity limit on airguns below .18 caliber, and airguns are no longer considered firearms by the state. Airguns over .18 caliber must still have a velocity of less than 700 fps. Aurora .Foregrips

Chicago .Airguns .Airsoft guns .Blank guns .Blank gun ammo

Cook County .Foregrips

Niles .Slingshots .Slingshot ammo .Slingshot accessories

Washington .Slingshots .Slingshot ammo .Slingshot accessories

As far as ordering a gun online, I've ordered one less than a month ago, it took one day to arrive in the store plus one day waiting period. And they do sell 50 Caliber but are currently sold out

I didn't buy a 50 cal though, out of my price range for now.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I can order a gun online and have it shipped to a FFL dealer. Since the air rifle is not a firearm, this doesn't apply but the shipping restriction to Illinois still applies. I can do this at walmart.com but they don't have the $229 Hatsan 125 in 25 caliber but they do have the Benjamin Marauder in

25 caliber for $525 and it takes a $150 3000 PSI hand pump, $650 was a bit more than I wanted to spend but the PCP's are supposed to be much nicer than the break barrel rifles.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

So how are they shipped to Walmart? Can't it be shipped to an FFL dealer? If not, I'll ask again -- how does Walmart get them?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I mentioned in an earlier post but forgot to restate, I have to select an out of state Wal-Mart, closest maybe 60 miles away.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Jeez, that's worse than NJ. We can have one shipped to any FFL dealer.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Well. If you are happy there, really, truly, happy, and don't want to move.... then why do you bitch.

Or to put it another way, if it is so bad that you need to bitch about it, just move.

Reply to
The Mighty Ant

Goodness! All you need to do is get in the car and drive down to the store and whip out some money and buy one? A tremendous imposition!

But in reply to Ed's post. Do you mean that rubber band "sling shots" are banned or the grown up versions with the strings and all?

Remember, David did not kill Goliath with rubber bands :-)

Reply to
The Mighty Ant

Yup. Rubber-band slingshots are banned throughout the state.

Some states outlaw the wrist-rocket type, with the piece that goes over your wrist, but in NJ, it's all of them.

You remind me of things that were said during the big controversy over "dangerous weapons" here. Someone asked if slings were being outlawed. The state senators seemed confused about the question. They're more of the brass knuckles and blackjacks types, anyway.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I haven't found anything very clear online. I have noticed the guns for sale at the sporting goods stores, if the gun is 22 caliber, it's either under 700FPS or not in stores in Illinois. Pyramid Air and Airgun Depot both suggest having the guns shipped to an out of state friend or business and get it that way. Walmart won't send to my local WalMart store (that sells firearms) but they won't even ship a PCP hand air pump to the local store.

Before the 2012 updated law, I bought a Gamo Big Cat 1250 spring piston break barrel air rifle. The store, Dick's Sporting Goods, said the law was so unclear they did the FFL transfer form and 24 hour wait/background check just to make sure.

There is probably some airgun dealer that knows how to get them, maybe from one FFL dealer to one in state. The one I'm interested in is the Hatsan 125 in 25 caliber and I haven't found anyone in Illinois that sells Hatsan to see if they can get 25 caliber. The nearest I have found them is Midway USA and that's about 4 hour drive away.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

bad things out there :-)