steam molding polystyrene

Hi,

I am looking for some info on hobbyist steam molding of styrafoam starting from the raw compressed styrene pellets, and using steam to expand them. I have the basic info but am wondering if anyone here has experience doing this already or knows some detailed info on steam pressure/temperature/time etc related to expansion size of the styrene pellets, also if there are any biodegradable alternatives.

I am thinking of using a wood mold filled with partly expanded pellets, and then putting that in a steamer for 1atm steam to expand the pellets further to the shape of the mold, and then if necessary either a vacuum or drying stage afterwards. I think the styrafoam could develop significant force so obviously the wood mold would have to be structurally strong enough to not break from the expanding pellets.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

Seeing as how you can't even spell STYROFOAM correctly I am dubious about your claim about having basic info. I am even more dubious because it took me less than 5 minutes online to learn all the answers to your questions. Perhaps a little research would do you some good. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Uh, since we're being picky, those pellets are not "Styrofoam," and any information you found had nothing to do with Styrofoam.

Styrofoam is a trademark for extruded, close-cell polystyrene plastic foam. The pellets are expanded polystyrene beads.

Just being fussy here...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yeah, I know. I shoulda said I was using Styrofoam the same way folks use Kleenex. But stryAfoam? Sheesh! Eric

Reply to
etpm

Well, not being a sterling speller myself, I guess I'm more sympathetic. Sympathetic I am to those who eschew spell chuckers, as well as Microsoft's grammar (really syntax) chucker, which disapproves of my carefully wrought anadiploses. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress