steam molding polystyrene

Hi,
I am looking for some info on hobbyist steam molding of styrafoam
starting from the raw compressed styrene pellets, and using steam
to expand them. I have the basic info but am wondering if anyone
here has experience doing this already or knows some detailed info
on steam pressure/temperature/time etc related to expansion size
of the styrene pellets, also if there are any biodegradable
alternatives.
I am thinking of using a wood mold filled with partly expanded pellets,
and then putting that in a steamer for 1atm steam to expand the pellets
further to the shape of the mold, and then if necessary either a vacuum
or drying stage afterwards. I think the styrafoam could develop
significant force so obviously the wood mold would have to be
structurally strong enough to not break from the expanding pellets.
cheers,
Jamie
Reply to
Jamie M
Seeing as how you can't even spell STYROFOAM correctly I am dubious about your claim about having basic info. I am even more dubious because it took me less than 5 minutes online to learn all the answers to your questions. Perhaps a little research would do you some good. Eric
Reply to
etpm
Uh, since we're being picky, those pellets are not "Styrofoam," and any information you found had nothing to do with Styrofoam.
Styrofoam is a trademark for extruded, close-cell polystyrene plastic foam. The pellets are expanded polystyrene beads.
Just being fussy here...
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Yeah, I know. I shoulda said I was using Styrofoam the same way folks use Kleenex. But stryAfoam? Sheesh! Eric
Reply to
etpm
Well, not being a sterling speller myself, I guess I'm more sympathetic. Sympathetic I am to those who eschew spell chuckers, as well as Microsoft's grammar (really syntax) chucker, which disapproves of my carefully wrought anadiploses. d8-)
Reply to
Ed Huntress

Site Timeline