AK-47 flashhider/bayonet lug question

Is it legal now, after Brady act has expired, to add a bayonet lug and replace muzzle brake with a flash hider. Also, do flash hiders also act as muzzle brakes, or not? My present gun is actually rather stable when I shoot it in quick succession.

I met a gentleman who bought something from me, he is a gunsmith and may do the above in exchange for a box of MT3 drill bits.

Ignoramus380

It was (federally) legal for the owner to do so all the time (add collapsible stocks, flash hiders, bayonet lugs, pistol grips, hi-cap magazines, etc.). It was just not legal for them to be manufactured that way. At least in some US states.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Does Ill have their own AWB laws?

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Not yet.

Ignoramus380

As long as your not in a state that enacted it's own AWB laws your OK. In the states that have there own bans your screwed, add those parts = go to jail.

Most true flash hiders do not act as muzzle brakes.

Reply to
Steve W.

It was NOT legal for the owner to add them under the ban. Federally or otherwise.

Q: What was the semiautomatic assault weapon (SAW) ban?

A: The SAW ban was enacted on September 13, 1994, by PL 103-322, Title IX, Subtitle A, section 110105. The ban made it unlawful to manufacture, transfer, or possess SAWs. The law defines SAWs as 19 named firearms, as well as semiautomatic rifles, pistols, and shotguns that have certain named features. The ban was codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922(v). SAWs lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994 were not covered by the ban. There also were certain exceptions, such as possession by law enforcement.

It shall be unlawful to possess any ?assault weapon?1 or ?large capacity ammunition feeding device.?2 So called assault weapons lawfully possessed prior to September 14, 1994 and large capacity ammunition feeding devices manufactured prior to such date can continue to be lawfully possessed..

  1. Assault weapon means: ? A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: ? a folding or telescoping stock; ? a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; ? a bayonet mount; ? a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; ? a grenade launcher.

? A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following characteristics: ? a folding or telescoping stock; ? a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; ? a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; ? an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

? A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics: ? an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; ? a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer; ? shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned; ? manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded. ? A semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm. ? Any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as: ? Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (All Models); ? Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; ? Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); ? Colt AR-15; ? Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; ? SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; ? Steyr AUG; ? INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22;

? revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12.

? Assault weapons does not include: ? any rifle, shotgun or pistol that: is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action; or has been rendered permanently inoperable; or ? An antique firearm as defined under federal law ? A semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; ? A semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than five rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine; ? A rifle, shotgun or pistol, or a replica or a duplicate thereof, specifically exempted from the federal assault weapon ban list as such weapon was manufactured on October 1, 1993.

2 Large capacity ammunition feeding device means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September 13, 1994, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition. There is an exception for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
Reply to
Steve W.

Guys, there's two things in play here. The "assault weapons" ban, and then there's the executive order banning assembly of a weapon with x number of foreign made parts. I won't pretend to be an expert on it, but, Igor, if you want to reach the guys who _know_ this stuff inside and out, see you over at rec.guns?

It might boil down to "if it's USA made flash surpressor it's fine" but I'm not sure. I sold my AK clone near the end of the ban for a hell of a profit.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It was not legal to modify, say, a pre-ban Colt Sporter during the ban?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hard to believe with Blagojevich for a govenor. The downside of a muzzle brake is increased noise so a flash hider is all you need since the round the AK-47 fires is relatively low recoil.

Wiki has a couple decent links:

One of these days I'd like to add a AK to my collection. It is a very practical weapon. In the case of urban warfare where our troops currently find themselves, I have a feeling it is superior to our M-16 in performance. For now, my small collection of SKS's will have to do. The SKS is also a fine example of Soviet engineering.

I've looked around (metal content) and see that there is a thriving market for selling plans and jigs to make one's own reciever as to roll your own ak. That seems like an interesting metal project

Wes

Reply to
clutch

It has a low recoil, but it jerks a lot without a muzzle brake. Hard to fire rapidly and point in the same direction. If a flash hider does not also work as a muzzle brake, I do not want it. Right now, my muzzle brake works as a good muzzle brake. I was hoping that there are flash hiders that also perform a muzzle brake function.

According to the second article, ``Flash suppressors are often designed to work as simple muzzle brakes.''

I would not be able to compare them with M-16, but let me say that I am a very satisfied owner of a quality AK clone. That's my gun of choice for shit hits the fan situations. It is also my gun of choice if I want to take my friends to a gun range for some simple fun.

Yes, definitely so, should be doable, especially with a CNC mill...

Ignoramus380

If you already owned the pre-ban Colt, You may have been OK IF you used parts you already had. It wasn't legal to add the "forbidden" items to it. That was why Pre-ban weapons suddenly rose in price, yo could buy them and the extra toys on them legally, but you couldn't add parts.

Reply to
Steve W.

California its still a no no.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

Some good prints for making your own AR out of blocks of aluminum and pinning it all together as well

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

A "flash hider" doesnt hide the flash from whoever you are shooting it at. It only deflects the flash so you can still see the sights instead of a big orange/yellow fireball.

Nearly all..not all..but nearly all..muzzle brakes will do this as well. Its quite simple to make one, All you need is a lathe and a mill..perferably a horizontal..but some types can be made on a lathe and a drill press.

Its best to make an barrel simulator as an arbor, then turn work from there to keep things concentric

Lots of kitchen table brakes and whatnot have been shot off because they didnt line things up properly.

Oh..and make the hole in the middle..at least bigger than the bore diameter by some few thousands...saw a guy put one on a .308 he had made..with a .280 hole in it....stayed on..but..the bullets were a bit worse for wear as they passed through....chuckle

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her t*ts" John Griffin

Reply to
Gunner

Sounds like a flash hider would be a waste of time then, and will expose me to dubious legal issues if Hillary becomes president. I will see if he can do something else for me, like make a way to store the cleaning rod and cleaning tools, on the gun, in exchange for those MT3 drills.

Ignoramus10353

Not if its a muzzle brake. They work good if well designed. If they also serve to channel the flame out of your sighting radius..its a two-fer.

Ive a heavy barreled 300 Winchester Magnum.."long range personell interdiction impliment" that has a custom made muzzle brake on it. Felt recoil even with hot 190gr "target loads" is less than a 308 with it on..bone crushing with it off. Well..bone crushing if you are an old wooshie...sigh...

Gunner, thinking about making one up for the .375 H&H

Political Correctness

Gunner

But most muzzle brakes do make fair flash hiders, that is why during the AWB AR's and AK's all came with muzzle brakes. But you still couldn't put a bayonet lug on the end, because a knife on a rifle makes it REALLY dangerous.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Ayup..it was all those gangbanger drive by bayonetings

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner