OT- Varmint Removal - (Sorry Nick M)

Hey all:

Sorry to post OT, but I know many have been through it so is the best source to go to in a pinch...

Weather got cold up here in the NE (MA) , and as such I seem to have quite a few squirrel's living under the tarp that is over my outdoor grill. Could be a few dozen...

They are quite territorial and come out and hiss at me, my wife or the dog whenever we use the backdoor or deck... They actually look like they are on the attack, as about 1/2 dozen come out every time, hissing and looking all pissed off. And they actually have advanced on us...

God know's what happens if one actually get into the house proper.

So, my question is... How to get rid of them?

Traps, varmint death bait, trusty ol' .22 rifle... While I hate to kill them, they do affect our living, and we would like them gone.

Any help is appreciated!

Fred

Reply to
Phred

A pellet air pistol will dispatch them w/o making loud gun noise to attract nosy liberals.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Remove the tarp? Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

While I agree with the airgun recommendation, I would be reluctant to leave it at 'pellet air pistol'. It ought to be a pretty punchy air pistol - a pellet from an air rifle is a more accurate and deadly method.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Reply to
Ray Field

Remove the tarp light the grill

KFC

Kentucky friend chipmunk

Reply to
Brent

Remove the tarp and open the grill and leave it. When they cannot us it to escape the weather anymore they will leave. Ammonia sprayed in the area may help, too.

Reply to
Gerry

I just used an old radio on an extention cord.You just have to find a station they don't like.Find one that has rap.Those that don't leave will kill each other off.

Reply to
MK1

Try an Ultrasonic dog trainer, or pest repeller. Worked for me, and bloodless.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Before taking action that harms the little guys, give some moth balls a try. I've used them to evict skunks---so they may just work on the squirrels.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

-got firecrackers/fireworks/black powder?

-leave tarp, stick a hose & sprinkler inside just before a freeze over

-remove tarp - fire up grill

-rent/borrow a dog

For some reason, I find a .22 cal pellet pistol more accurate than the .177 rifle with a scope

Reply to
Bart

I think the only long term solution is to figure out what they are eating and get rid of the food supply.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Put a AM radio playing rush limbaugh under the tarp.

Dixon

Reply to
Dixon

My God, man, where's your compassion?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I had a racoon problem developing around my garbage. Ammonia sprinkled around regularly seems to work. I expect most animals with any ability to smell would vacate. Randy

Sorry to post OT, but I know many have been through it so is the best source to go to in a pinch...

Weather got cold up here in the NE (MA) , and as such I seem to have quite a few squirrel's living under the tarp that is over my outdoor grill. Could be a few dozen...

Fred

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

I had a racoon problem at my previous residence. Tried loud music, etc., no luck. Then I tried some moth balls and the racoon left.

RogerN

Reply to
Roger_N

Reply to
RoyJ

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:48:23 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dixon" quickly quoth:

Sure, and gather all the squirrels for miles under that tarp...

-- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do. -- Confucious

Reply to
Larry Jaques

whenever we use the backdoor or deck... They actually look like

Well you could let your dog off the leash.

But for a less violent approach, is there somewhere else further from the house where you could set up a sheltered area for them to nest in? Then you could lay out a little trail of nuts or corn from the grill to their new home and make the grill inhospitable by putting an open bottle of household ammonia, or mothballs under it.

Reply to
fredfighter