OT- Varmint Removal - (Sorry Nick M)

The neighbourhood shitty cats tend to frequent my yard, my discouraging device is a CATapult fueled with half sized ice cubes. I have yet to score a direct hit, but with a shitty cat in the area of the back (tin) shed, a hit on the shed produces remarkable acceleration in said predator. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I would make a guess that these are opossums. They hiss, are grey and like to get up under things. Sometimes, they hang by their tail. They hiss in trying to scare you away.

buffalo

In South America there are black squirrels with a white stripe down their back. I saw some at the Cleveland Zoo's rainforest exhibit where one mother exclaimed to her daughter "OOH, look at the tree skunks!"

Reply to
fredfighter

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 18:18:04 GMT, Rex scribed:

Thanks for the replies from You and Gunner,

My rifle is a pretty old (1912) bolt action Stevens .22. It is in great condition, very heavy as I think it was a competition gun, or sniper rifle trainer. It has a 5 round short box magazine. It has field sights with adjustable rear and fixed front.

I mounted a 20x scope a couple of years ago, took it to the range and drilled it in. Results were deadly accurate. 100 yard groupings were within 1-3 cm apart and at 300 yards were not too far off the mark, all within the 2" bull.

I have only fired .22 LR ammo out of it and that works good...

It is NOT a gun to shoot varmint with as it is so bloody heavy, by the time I bring to bear, said critter had left the field of battle... I would almost have to lay around and snipe them. I dinna have the time for that.

So, any suggestions on what I may get? Some have suggested C02 pistols, but i feel I would have no accuracy with that... Any idea on a nice, lightweight .22 style rifle that takes the smaller ammo?

What are CB Caps?

Phred

Reply to
Phred

You're hitting the target at 300 yards with a .22 LR? Really? Come-on, really?

Reply to
Dave Lyon

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:13:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dave Lyon" quickly quoth:

Sure. Just aim at Venus and adjust as needed.

- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. ---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Damn! Let me swap you my gun for that thing!!

A .22 short or long with no powder. They just use the primer for propellant. That gives them the approximate velocity of a good airgun, with more mass in the projectile. Out of a long barrel, the loudest sound is often the bullet striking the target. They do not shoot as flat as a typical .22LR, so you have to experiment at different ranges to know how much to hold over/under.

Reply to
Rex

Ive done it regularly. Anshutz Match 54 with a Lyman Superspot 20x. Do it with the peep sights too..but Im getting older..shrug...

No wind..wind is a killer with the 22lr. If the rifle/cartridge (brands of ammo is critical between individual rifles) is capable of good accuracy.. such is very possible.

I regularly shoot paper plates with a plain jane Ruger 1022 out past

300 yrds. Doesnt have a lot of poop when it gets there..that little 40 grain round nose bullet isnt very efficient..but its capable of getting there nicely.

One of the fun things we do occasionally, is plinking steel man sized sillouettes with a .45 pistol, at 500 yrds.

Squeeze...fart, scratch, light up a smoke..then hear the "dink!"..takes a while to get there......but it can be done easily enough with a decent firearm.

I once won a $20 bet for doing this with a 38 Detective Special.

LOTS of hold over....chuckle

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

The ruger M7722 is certainly capable of holding a very tight pattern at some great distances for a 22 cal.....

I often amaze myself at some of the "targets" I hit when I really expect the shot to just scare the intended target.

I think if you shoot a certain firearm enough you can pretty well get to know exactly where the point of impact is gonna be at any given range....Of course knowing how to estimate range accurately means a lot as well. Now as to knock down power when it gets out that far its a totally different story altogether.

You can get a 2" group at 300 yards with a .22 also? I guess I just suck.

Dave, who's never even tried 300 yards with a 22.

------- I forgot more about ponds and koi than I'll ever know!

Reply to
Tristan

You can get a 2" group at 300 yards with a .22 also? I guess I just suck.

Dave, who's never even tried 300 yards with a 22.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:17:49 GMT, "Dave Lyon" scribed:

Dave:

This is a very heavy firearm that I am sure was meant to be a competition shooting rifle. The barrel is about 1.4" diameter and the stock/grip is solid hardwood. Sliding bolt action, small box magazine. A barrel that diameter for a .22 mean's only one thing.

It also has a 20x scope that has been drilled in. (well sighted)

And yes, I can land them more or less inside a 2" bull, the length of

3 American football fields. I reckon a very good shooter could pop the queens knickers from more than that...might even drop them...

All the best,

Phred

Reply to
Phred

I used to try to shoot red squirrels with .22 shorts but most of the time the squirrel would hear the bullet coming and move out of the way. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

. I reckon a very good shooter could pop the

Phred,

You're claiming a 2" group at 300 yards from a round that has an effective range of about 100 yards. If that's not good shooting, I don't know what is.

I'm at least an average shot, maybe a little better. I'd be pleased with that kind of group at 300 yards with my .270. I wouldn't even try it with a .22. I know that statement is going to generate a bunch of comments about how easy a 2" group is at 300 yards. Yes, I know how POSSIBLE it is. In fact, I've seen groupings that tight, and better, from 800 yards with the right gun. I also know that most of the people that claim they can do it really can't. Let the flames begin!

Reply to
Dave Lyon

I would have thought it would look like a mortar being layed in. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I think my Anschutz Match was factory sighted in at 50 meters. That is about 150 yards. The brag target they attached was a "2 Inch" - 50 mm in diameter on a square card just over that size.

I'm sure it was bench. But the holes were a bullet width with overlapping holes. Not bad for factory test to see if the barrel was in place.

Martin

Mart>>I regularly shoot paper plates with a plain jane Ruger 1022 out past

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Need to get some 60 grain SSS 22LR bullets - in a rifle they are sniper by name. In pistols, they are loud, not as loud but have a higher force and lower velocity.

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Gerald Miller wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

What? Did you say 50 meters = 150 yards? You meant feet, right?

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Martin I think your metric education needs up-dating. :-)

50 Meters is just a little more than 50 Yards . 39.37 / 36 a little less than 10 percent over. ...lew...
Reply to
Lew Hartswick
50 Meters a meter is over 39". 150 feet and more.

The match barrel is over an inch at the front sight. Is is an Olympic match rifle that I shot on indoor ranges - the 4th floor in a 3 floor army billet - the 4th is a low height (big enough) rifle range for light bullets.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

No, I just need more than a few hours a night sleep!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn