OT- Varmint Removal - (Sorry Nick M)

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:38:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Yeah, prolly so.

Did anyone define "effective range" here yet? I haven't seen it if so.

In the meantime:

THIS JUST IN --

---=====--- After all else fails, read the instructions. ---=====---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 01:35:50 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don Foreman quickly quoth:

Ain't religion wonderful?

That's one for the NRA mags, Don. Send 'er in!

---=====--- After all else fails, read the instructions. ---=====---

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I suppose that depends on how many of your friends land in the river and how many miss.

Reply to
fredfighter

What country's coinage is that? ... cause the US dime in my pocket is .705" or roughly 1.8 cm.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 16:11:36 -0500, Steve Ackman scribed:

Your right, it is a bit over 6/8 of an inch. Sorry I posted the wrong record. I had grabbed a different coin, the Swiss CHF . 10 piece and used that for a baseline.

Smaller coin and I still pegged it at 130 meters.

Phred

Reply to
Phred

I just pulled one out and checked it. .703 close enough. Mine must be worn a little. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

I doubt that you'd need to dig them out. .22LR will bounce off a barn at less than a mile, though noticably pissing off the guy painting it. (Don't ask me how I know that from 50 years ago.... )

Reply to
Don Foreman

You apparently have never measured a dime. They're nowhere near .400". Try .704".

Yeah, I know, this isn't about the size of dimes.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

A lot of it is hardware, then technique and years of practice developing the little tricks that work for you. Im sure you are a fine shot. This sort of thing, however is way out on the edge of the envelope, and it has its own rules and techniques. Few people ever take the time to try this sort of thing, or have the facilities to do it...IE a decent range that is wind free, etc etc.

Im only a fair offhand shot with a rifle. There are millions better at standing on their hind legs and putting a round where they want it. Let me get prone, and have a decent rest...or a good military style sling, and I can hit stuff at pretty fair distances. Because this is what Ive practiced and worked on for many years. Distances where heartbeat alone can be the deciding factor of a hit or a clean miss. Reading winds that may be coming from 3-6 directions over that range. Takes practice and a knack. Judging distances. Its fascinating how so many people simply cant get distances over 50 yrs estimated even within

25%. That takes a LOT of practice and keeping at it. If I can see it..I can either put a leak in it..or scare the shit out of it.

With handgun, Im fair enough. Shrug. I shot several combat techniques and metallic silloutte for a number of years. IHMSA Unlimited class. Shrug. Still varmint hunt with a handgun. Lots of personal satisfaction when ya take out a prarie dog at 300 yrds with a handgun. In fact, I do most of my hunting, big and small game with a handgun. Shooting critters with a rifle..simply to easy. I bow hunt too.

Ill bet you do alright. A bunch of the kids Ive trained to shoot over the years have astonished me with their skills, far better than me.

Shrug

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

My dime is .7032. I once had several dimes, but I'm retired now. This does suggest an interesting technique for dealing with snotty or discourteous bank tellers, though. Have a mike in your pocket. If treated badly, ask for $5 worth of dimes -- and then proceed to carefully mike every one of them to make sure they're OK.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The first deer I ever killed was with a bow. Got a turkey with one too.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

The first and second white tail was with my 357 Blackhawk, never did much small game hunting, too much work cleaning for the amount of meat. :-) Espcially birds. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick