Hannants under threat?

There is a record tidal surge of 3m currently heading down the east cost of England. It is expected to hit the Norfolk coast in the early hours of Friday morning, to coincide with high tide. Many coastal areas of Norfolk have received severe flood warning and areas of Lowestoft have been evacuated.

Hopefully Oulton Broad won't get hit - it is slightly inland. The though of a flood at Hannants warehouse doesn't bear thinking about. Just imagine what it would do to all those decals.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Ah, but imagine the flood damage sale !

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

we will sacrifice a goat and 2 christians to appease the water gods, enzo. i hope they're ok, too.

Reply to
someone

Just checking where I put my passport.... May have to go to the bay of Biscay and bob for kits....

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:FGMYi.446255$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.news.easynews.com:

I'll raise you and sacrifice an ass and 2 atheists, which is 3 of a kind.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

what? a sucker bet?

Reply to
someone

The danger has passed.

In the event, the tidal surge was not quite as high as it could have been. Flood defences were breached in Great Yarmouth, although not catastrophically. No properties were flooded, but it was touch and go for some people living near the seafront. You may see on various telly reports that in one village the seafront road was flooded and the waters came up to the fronts of houses. The prom at Sheringham was also flooded, but again the waters didn't reach any properties.

I see that the backlash has already started. Various local politicians are criticising the Met Office and the Environment Agency for over-reacting. The evacuations and other precautions have cost a lot of money, so the politicians want their moment of fame.

The word from the local population is somewhat different. The people involved in the evacuations have all spoken highly of the manner in which they were treated by the authorities. The people involved are now making a bit of a joke about it all. But what seems clear is that the authorities acted in timely and considered manner and took action to minimise casualties. The Met Office and Environment Agency issued their flood warnings based on worst case scenarios. So what if the worst case didn't come to pass? Can you imagine the uproar if flood warnings hadn't been issued and a catastrophe *had* happened?

This way, even if the tidal surge had matched the worst case predictions and there had been extensive flooding, it is likely that the casualties would have been minimal as the vulnerable areas were evacuated. I think that the authorities have done well and should be congratulated.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

From what I hear on other froups the guys in the Netherlands got away with it as well.

I'm convinced that this is all because civil authorities in the various countries involved have put a lot of thought and work into preventing possible disasters. I love it when forecast catastrophes turn out to be damp squibs like this. Having seen a number of television reports today, it seems that in my part of the world, disaster was only inches away. The people who have fought so hard over the past few years to fund and build flood defences should be feeling very proud of themselves right now.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Glad to hear that damage was minimal on your side of the puddle. The weather guys take the heat too around here if they forecast the worst and it doesn't happen. Must be a human nature thing. Anybody hear anything about the Netherlands? I heard a little in German last night on DW-TV but I understood less.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well, on on hand I'm glad there was no major flooding or damage. On the other hand, a few sacrificed goats and christians might not have been such a bad thing. A few less bible thumpers would put a smile on my face.

Reply to
Disco58

Record high waves, but dikes pass test

AMSTERDAM - 10-metre high waves beat the North Sea coast of the Netherlands overnight, but no major problems were reported by Friday morning.

The north-west storm that raced over the Netherlands with wind speeds of more than 100 kilometres per hour caused record-high water levels.

Strong winds of 100 km per hour are not exceptional for this time of the year in the Netherlands, but it is the combination of wind direction, rain and a seawater level that was already high prior to the storm that caused the state of alert.

In Harlingen, a town bordering on the north-east coast of the country, the seawater level rose to 3.4 metres above the so-called New Amsterdam Water level (NAP), the standard used to ascertain the height of the water.

Near Rotterdam, the level stood at 2.84 metres above NAP while in Zeeland, in the south-west, the sea level rose to 3.43 metres, the third highest level since the Delta water defence system in the Zeeland province has been built.

Late Thursday night, all Dutch water defence systems along the North Sea coast, such as the Maeslant and Hartel defence systems near Rotterdam, had been automatically closed due to the high water level.

The coastguard patrolled the dikes from north to south during the night, but no major problems occurred.

The harbour of Rotterdam, which had closed down in the early evening of Thursday, also remained closed throughout the night and early Friday morning.

Elsewhere in the country, the first strong autumn storm of 2007 in the Netherlands caused damage to public and personal property.

In the province of Noord-Brabant, rooftops of homes were damaged and trees fell on cars.

In several places located near the sea, local flooding occurred. In Harlingen, the fishery storage and processing sites were all flooded, with water levels of up to 1 metre.

Later this morning, the water level in Delfzijl in the north is expected to rise to more than 4 metres above NAP.

The coastal guard along the whole north-east coast of the Netherlands will remain on high alert throughout the rest of Friday.

From the village of Petten in the province of Noord-Holland to the south however, the high alert has been lifted.

For Friday, rain and hail are expected to continue, again accompanied with north-eastern winds of up to 100 km per hour.

[Copyright dpa 2007]
Reply to
kim

In 1982 we lived in Inverness, CA. The weather report for January 4 was scattered showers.

Those showers were not scattered. They came from all over to dump almost twenty inches of rain in twenty-four hours on Inverness and the rest of Marin County. We lost sixteen homes with dozens damaged. One fatality in Sausalito, one injury resulting in quadropedic and several other injuries. One horse was killed.

The hillsides liquified, ending up blocking almost all lower streets and isolating us for a week. As a firefighter/EMT I was on duty for seventy-two hours, mostly stabilizing homes and helping remove valuables for residents of demolished homes. The second day I actually got to commandere a news helicopter for a call of a house in the bay. The house was, indeed, in the bay, but people on the shore saw only the people on the roof, not the boat on the other side of the house. Upon return to Inverness we immediately loaded a cardiac patient and off to the hospital. The KGO helicopter made a dozen more sorties at their expense, bringing in needed supplies (sandbags, fuel, clean/dry socks, etc.) and flying officials over the area to review the damage.

Scattered showers my ass!

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

i was joking. i would never kill a poor goat.

Reply to
someone

Uh... say, there, could we borrow them for a bit? We seem to have had a little problem with storm preparedness in the last few years.

Don H (A safe 1,000 miles north of New Orleans)

Reply to
Don Harstad

"Disco58" wrote

It's a good thing we Bible-thumpers don't feel the same way about you Godless pagans. Fewer of you would certainly make us smile, but only if you've joined us, not if you've been sacrificed.

May your God be with you.

RobG (The Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

"Disco58" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutcrafting.com:

It's nice to know you're so tolerant of other's beliefs.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

to have someone elses religon rammed down your throat isnt much fun...or wanted

Reply to
Jules

I was living in Santa Cruz then and remember it well - not having been in the tropics before (or since), I can truly say that I have never seen it rain so hard for so long; even after moving to the Puget Sound area.

Reply to
Andrew M

Only the rich ones, right?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.