Hannants under threat?

"Jules" wrote in news:kclZi.254360$lV4.28727 @fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Would that include atheists casually tossing off insults at Chritains?

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

no, i know lots, and im more than polite to them when they knock on my door, same goes for jovo's

Reply to
Jules

on 11/11/2007 2:57 PM Jules said the following:

I practice no religion, even though babtised a christian (I was circumcised without my permission too). For the kids, I did decorate my house for Christmas and have a tree, and presents, and all that jolly stuff, but I don't attend church. I decorate my house for Halloween, but don't believe in witches, ghosts, or aliens, either. One Christmas day, two jehovahs witnesses rang my door bell. I told them to "get the f*ck off my porch".

Reply to
willshak

O the little druids, 'ow they danced.

Reply to
tomcervo

You do realise that's fighting talk, don't you? After all, the average atheist is rather attached to the one and only life he has, and is likely to react with some prejudice against this sort of thing (as opposed to those struck by religion, who might actually consider it a privilege to be sacrificed)..

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Hey, at least he sees _some_ use for those of different beliefs. Most religious 'enthousists' seem to divide the rest of the population into those that don't yet realise they are true believers (nothing a bit of terror and torture won't fix), and those who are a waste of air and space...

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

i used to get them all the time. about 25 years ago, a friend vising was sick of them so he answered the door naked. haven't seen them since.

Reply to
someone

have you been washed in the blood of a tree?

Reply to
someone

Rob van Riel wrote in news:pan.2007.11.12.10.12.32.250000 @mail.com:

So is the notion of sacrificing Christians, which is where this started. In case you are unaware Christains are being murdered throughout Africa, Asia and the Middle East and prosecuted for thier beliefs in China.

I'm sick of the supposed superiority of the atheist. Thier snobby insults are just crude ways of mocking those with beliefs where they have none.

I don't prosletyze, because it's a waste of time. Either you get it or you don't and I'm not very good at prosletyzing except by trying to live my life the right way and by showing respect for other's beliefs as I would like them to respect mine.

Apparently that's not good enough.

Atheists should learn to coexist and show respect. True Christains do, it's one of the rules that we do so.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

bullshit. i have close friends who are Jews, Muslims and other faiths... im fed up of Chistians banging on my door and waffling on about a load of crap...

Reply to
Jules

People of all faiths or lack there of are being murdered for those beliefs all over the world, mostly in the name of some religion other than their own. Without making any statements about the existence of one or more gods, which is en entirely diferent matter, I find that religion is probably the greatest curse humans have ever inflited upon this world.

I have little or no problem with coexisting with anyone polite enough to keep their noses out of my business, regardless of creed (barring potential excesses perpetrated in the name of such creed, which I have yet to encounter first hand), but respect is earned, not given by default. Their are many aspects to an individual's personality, and there are quite a few people with religious convictions that I respect, but not one who has earned that respect because of those beliefs.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

where does one find this true chridtian? from what i can tell, the real religion pretty much impoded about the time constantine had that conference and the church was divied up for turf and tithes. the copts seem to be the only ones on the original path.

Reply to
someone

I used to be a aviation weather observer at our local airport for twelve years; there were some real loo-loos in what was forecast and what actually happened in that time. One time the forecast was for clear skies all night. The forecast came out at 9:30 PM...by 2 AM, we had winds of over 70 mph, and hail raining down. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Wooden that leave me all sappy?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yesterday the local TV station was foretelling that the sun would disappear by 2PM and cloud up. It eventually did cloud up by sundown but that was somewhat later than it was supposed to. The kicker came today at the noon newscast. The weather guy started talking about how the sun disappeared behind the clouds before noon. I don't usually talk back to the TV but I had to today. Did they keep him in a box all day yesterday?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

probably the greatest curse humans have ever inflicted upon this world.

I tend to agree but with the provision that we restrict that to just 'religion'. I do not confuse religion with belief in a divinity. Religions, like politics, are constructed by humans. I do not know whence divinity comes but I have always felt connected to something beyond me and I hope that connection pre-dates my arrival and departure here.

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mad-Modeller wrote

Thank-you Bill. The first sensible comment since this whole thread started.

RobG (The Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

Agreed, and this was what I had in mind when I declined to comment on divinity as such.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

birth did that.

Reply to
someone

spirituality has zero to do with religion. i don't know why the universe muddles along, nor care, really, but i'm glad it does. there are still pretty girls to smile at and kits to build.

Reply to
someone