Interesting tool sharpening system from Down Under

Found this guy's setup while aimlessly wandering the net, thought some might find it of interest.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

"Jon Anderson" <

Interesting. Thanks for posting, eih!

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Jon, I'm still getting a Server Not Found error after 2 days. Oh, well.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It works for me. Try cutting and pasting it to Notebook or whatever and see if your Usenet program is leaving a space after the question mark.

Reply to
edhuntress2

Or try just:

, they both work for me.

Reply to
Carl Ijames

That one then requires clicking on the "Acute Sharpening System" bar to the left of the main page. But both work for me, if I let the browser translate the "=53" at the end of the first URL posted -- which happens to translate into a 'S'.

It looks intersting, but I can't seem to find prices anywhere. (And, it won't handle some of the end mills which I use -- up to 1" shanks. :-(

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That one then requires clicking on the "Acute Sharpening System" bar to the left of the main page. But both work for me, if I let the browser translate the "=53" at the end of the first URL posted -- which happens to translate into a 'S'.

It looks intersting, but I can't seem to find prices anywhere. (And, it won't handle some of the end mills which I use -- up to 1" shanks. :-(

Enjoy, DoN. =====================================================

I assumed that once someone was at the home page they would see the button labeled "acute sharpening system" and know what to do with it. Since his problem was that he couldn't get there I thought a simpler URL would be more help than trying to diagnose possible failures in the long one. Anyway, on the home page there's another button labeled "shop", click that and then click the link to the acute sharpening system and you will see the prices for the plans, parts kit, and completed units.

Reply to
Carl Ijames
[ ... ]

You never know. :-)

I went to the "Shop" section, and did not see the prices. Perhaps it needs Javascript enabled. I keep it disabled most of the time.

I probably won't go back, since it will not handle my larger end mills. A larger scale version might be worth my while.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Try again. It works. - 6/3/17 9:14 CST Martin

Reply to
Martin E

Works for me, using the current WinXP version of Firefox.

However I have a surface grinder with fixtures to sharpen lathe threading bits and milling cutters.

I made a holder like their Diamond Tool Holder to cut thrust bearing races with the shank of a broken carbide drill bit. It's an old design for turret lathe forming bits that don't lose their shape when resharpened.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My firefox (V 31.0 on Solaris on UltraSPARC CPU) has no trouble, at least without the '.' you have on the end.

Even with it present, still no problem reaching that site.

Could it be a limit imposed by your ISP?

On unix/linux systems, ping shows:

====================================================================== Katana:csu 17:44:27 # ping

is alive ======================================================================

I forget what the Windows version of the ping command is called.

There is also the equivalent to traceroute to try.

Perhaps there is a problem with DNS lookup. It should produce

103.14.201.3 as the IP address. Substitute that for the domain name and try again.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Dunno what to say, URL works for me in Firefox and Chrome...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I've come to accept that I'll never have a shop like I had in the States. Space is at a premium, good machines hard to find out in the country. Would love to have a surface grinder again, but not going to happen unless I win the lottery here. So interested in tools that offer biggest bang for smallest footprint.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Same error 6/4/17 05:23 PST

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Replace keyboard actuator and hit any key.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

There is something weird about that site name and/or dns lookup...

Try it through a proxy, like:

or just go to anonymouse and use the form:

Another option would be to try using Google translate and enter the address there. Have it translate English to English. Haven't tried that before but seems like it might work :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk
[ ... ]

You never know. :-) ================================== I knew when I was typing the word "assumed" that I was asking for trouble :-). ==================================

I went to the "Shop" section, and did not see the prices. Perhaps it needs Javascript enabled. I keep it disabled most of the time.

I probably won't go back, since it will not handle my larger end mills. A larger scale version might be worth my while.

The drawings in a spiral bound notebook format are $35 and the parts kit is $250, both USD. Apparently he plans to include an instructional DVD that it isn't ready yet but will ship for just the shipping cost to anyone who buys plans or kit whenever it is done. Perhaps you could just substitute a 5C collet holder block for his 16 mm size? Or whatever size you need. He does have a demo video on youtube that should be reachable even if his site isn't:

Carl Ijames

Beware of translations. Dancer and DWTS judge Carrie Ann Inaba has a tattoo in Japanese that was intended to mean Courageous Love but actually says Rough Sex.

This is Carrie Ann, live on prime time TV:

And she isn't the wildest judge.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins