Interesting tool sharpening system from Down Under

Pffffft!

We used to call that "Loose nut behind the wheel." in automotive repair shops when they brought the car in for a "funny noise" which we were unable to find or replicate.

Anyway, I found a Youtube vid of their system and left a heads-up for them about my FF 53.0.3 32-bit malfunction with their website. I thought maybe it was a server overload the first day, but it persists through today.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK. That worked. Alas, no price list, etc., so my curiosity isn't fed.

Bookmarked, thanks.

I don't find the server, so how would it...?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

After seeing the site via Anonymouse, I'm sure I've seen it before via FF, so either Mozilla or EE broke something. I sure long for the stability of Netscape 4. It was TITS!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I opened Firefox, Googled "eccentric engineering", clicked the link and then opened the Shop tab to reach the prices.

My Firefox doesn't have any Add-ons. .Net is disabled and it lists Plug-ins for H264, Foxit Reader, VLC, Java, MS DRM, WPF and Media Player, and Shockwave.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Google translate does the dns lookup, acts like a proxy. It wouldn't let me do English to English though. But it will do Yiddish to English ;-)

Your ISP may have blocked that web site. Your DNS server and/or cache may not be up to date. You may have set up a hosts file entry for that site long ago. You may have a Firefox Addon blocking that site. You may have an Adblock utility blocking that site. You may have a cache problem within Firefox...

Try this one to view some pricing. Be sitting down :)

Leon Fisk

Will it translate Aussie to English?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I know you're just having some fun, but here is the list it can supposedly translate from. I didn't see Aussie ;-)

Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, >Cebuano, Chichewa, Chinese, Corsican, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Frisian, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hausa, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi, Hmong, Hungarian, Icelandic, Igbo, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Kyrgyz, Lao, Latin, Latvian, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malay, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mongolian, Myanmar (Burmese), Nepali, Norwegian, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Serbian, Sesotho, Shona, Sindhi, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish, Yoruba, Zulu

It is a nice tool for deciphering the odd web pages of interest in other languages. It usually works well for getting the gist of it and some good chuckles too.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Found this guy's setup while aimlessly wandering the net, thought some might find it of interest.

Jon

Thanks for posting this. In the current run-a-way political threads I almost missed it. I like it. I probably won't have one shipped from Oz, but I might make one. If was in the US I'd probably buy one of his.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hi Bob,

Yeah, wheat/chaff ratio not favorable right now. About time to update filters.. He does have a US distributor, though I didn't follow that link to see who. I'm thinking of buying the kit, to save time, I do like it's well thought out design.

Regards,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Whoo! Not cheap. Who do they think they are, Starrett? I got an error below the URL (This page was not retrieved from its original location over a secure connection.Dismiss) and a 3 minute translation time, but it did finally come through via FF.

Poor Jon's $170 square costs just $45 in Portland, OR. And $10 or so to ship in the States. Shipping to and from AU is GHASTLY, usually doubling the price of anything.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here's the best one I've ever found, ya bloody bodger:

Larry Jaques

Shipping to AU isn't cheap, and shipping within really isn't either. But I had it in 2 days out of Sydney which is pretty darn good for here. Exchange rate, plus anything really worthwhile (not import crap) really isn't cheap. But it's my livelihood, and a write off to boot.

Some Americans never get over sticker shock here. Me, if I really want or need it, I just buy it and don't think about it too much.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Yet China can ship for free:

Jim Wilkins

Yeah, speaking of which, how's the UPS service and pricing there? I'll bet DHL is better represented Down Under.

It's much easier to buy expensively when you're reimbursed for it.

I don't think I ever would, being so squeakily frugal meself.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's 12 cents worth of wire, sold for $4, and shipping is free compliments of the Chinese government subsidies. It is said that no shipping container ever leaves there with any airspace in it, and I believe it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Who offers that wire for 12 cents?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Have bought a few things from China/Taiwan, comes same as in the States. Items from the States, USPS. Within AU, Australian Post (which is a private operation) Had to send first tax returns via FedEx, that entailed a 2.5 hour drive to Canberra and cost over $70.

Best not be thinking of moving here then... ;) Besides, the cost of applying for immigration is going, or already gone, way the f*ck up. Think it's near $7k now. Cost me IIRC, about $3k, which was right there, over a grand increase from when I first knew I was going to move.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I'm sure I've seen it for a penny (+s/h) on ebay, but it was more an observation of so much Chinese pricing than a standard for that particular wire. I paid $2.90 delivered for 2x 3M after being outbid on a dozen penny auctions.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Although the women are stunning, so are the prices. I won't be joining you, Jon. Eek!

Are they allowing Muslim refugees? Oh, well the AU-US refugee trade sucks. WTF?

Reply to
Larry Jaques